Pond overflow=lost fish?

Reaction score
During the winter, my pond has a small stream flowing into it and overflows out the other end, just like a natural pond. I'm thinking I need to put some kind of net across the overflow side to prevent the fish from accidentally going over the edge. Any ideas?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My overflow, which during hard rains flows like a small creek, is just rocks around a foot wide stacked rocks. The rocks are stagger stacked so a any fish of any size i.e. over 1/2 inch would have to do twist and turns to get out. There is enough crevice to allow the excess water to escape, but no fish. Now a tiny fry might make it through, I have never seen any fish in the grass after it has done a major overflow.

Reaction score
That's a good idea, thanks. I was thinking I might have to get some netting and string it across there, but then if any sticks or fir cones floated in, they would get all tangled up.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Netting will work, but it can get clogged up. My house gutters feed into our pond so at times we get a horrendous flow through the pond, a great water turn over. But it sure does flow out a little river. The gutter input is at one end the outflow at the other. Goes nicely down our slope into our woods.

Reaction score
We have a drainage ditch ( real-estate people call it a "seasonal creek") that runs pretty much all Fall, Winter and Spring, through my pond and out the other end. This year I have built a bog on the in-going end to hopefully keep out a lot of sediment. Now I just have to keep the fish in!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lots of flow, a seasonal flush, that lasts. With that I would do a rock barrier and netting, just clean the netting off and on.

Ask a Question