Pond Photo Tips

Reaction score
Yeah, for the most part people have their brand, and they LOVE to argue about it. Realistically speaking you do need to choose. If you buy a DSLR, you will have a host of accessories you will need and none are interchangeable, so a Canon body will only take Canon lenses and flashes, and remote releases etc, but there really is no wrong answer, they're all amazing technological marvels in tiny tiny packages. Mind boggling really.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would love to get some tips on taking photos of my pond at night. I have a Canon Power Shot S3 and I'm pretty sure it has the ability to take some great night shots. The photographer (me) needs some help. I have some lights in my pond and have installed some nice deck lights around our viewing deck and really would love to get some night pics. It's really beautiful at night, but I've not been able to capture that with a camera.

Appreciate any tips!

Reaction score
I would say the first tip for night time is tripod. The second tip would be tripod, and the third tip would be learning how to press the shutter release very carefully so you don't move the camera at all. The camera should know what settings to use for the scene, the hard part, beyond not moving the camera at all, is finding something to focus on in such a dark scene. If you can move the focus point around maybe point it at one of your landscaping lights and lock it in there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My biggest problem is reflections. And of course the fish won't pose for me! I'm either using my old Kodak 10MP digital point and shoot or my 8MP Samsung smartphone. Can't seem to get rid of the reflections no matter what angles I try. Is a lens filter the only way? What type of filter? I used to be a bit into photography back in the film only days. Maybe I should break out my old Minolta SLR film camera? I did have a few filters for that dinosaur. Does anyone still develop film?

Ask a Question