pond plant help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Your bucket/pan/tub does not have to be fancy, and anything you buy will likely be fine. What I was talking about that the roots broke through was one of those thin pots that you buy bushes in. I repotted some lilies in a couple of those, and one of them split with the pressure. If the pan you use is similar in strength and thickness to a 5 gal bucket, you will be fine. Just don't use the mesh pots. I thought they were great, until I used them! I have no idea what good they are for pond plants, unless you have a plant that needs more water filtration to the roots, and it doesn't grow very fast and out the holes!
Oh, and where you place the tuber, really is not that picky in what I have found. Hardies are very easy to grow. And, wherever you plant it this spring, by next spring, the pot will be full with lots of new tubers, so no matter where you put it in the pot, it will multiply, so no worries how you angle it or place it. No need to overthink them, they are easy!

Reaction score
CountryEscape said:
Just don't use the mesh pots. I thought they were great, until I used them! I have no idea what good they are for pond plants, unless you have a plant that needs more water filtration to the roots, and it doesn't grow very fast and out the holes!
Sorry to horn in on this thread (which is quite interesting!), but this part got my attention. I have read and seen lots of books, articles, pictures with pond plants in mesh baskets because it helps with water flow through the roots as you suggest, and doesn't "stifle" the roots.

In my pond I had years ago I had almost everything in mesh baskets because that was what I thought was best. But I have only a single mesh basket plant in my current pond, everything else is in regular garden-center black plastic pots that all plants come in, because mesh pots have been harder to find, and certainly aren't free.

Has anyone found a source of large (> 10" across) mesh baskets/pots suitable for lotus or lilies? Should I stick with the tougher garden-center pots or even upgrade to something specifically dedicated to lotus/lily tubers?

shinksma

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Shinksma, the reason I didn't like the mesh was that the roots protruded through the mesh, and then it was a matter of cutting them off if you needed to pull tubers apart, or cutting the mesh pot. I think another part of the problem was that the ones I had were square, and they say lilies need round to keep the roots going in a circle and keeping the roots in the pot. Maybe what I had was not well made. I got them on sale at Menards, and on sale they were less than $2 each, I think I got the 8" size. I don't think I'd ever buy another one, though. Had a heck of a jungle when I tried to separate lily tubers out of one. OMG! What a mess. I use solid pots, cut the bottoms off of 3.5 gal buckets. They are about 14" in diameter, very thick plastic (I get them free from local grocery store bakery department). I don't put any holes in the bottom for my lilies. I don't want the roots to get out of the pot. The water gets in from above, and the plants grow in the water column above the pot, so no need for holes. I realize the idea of the mesh pots, I thought it was a great idea, too, but not for lilies. Maybe other plants that don't have such thick roots they would be fine. Lilies tend to push on pots and as long as the pot is round, the roots will continue to grow in a circle, or so they say. Mine seldom grew roots out of the pot, unless they were so root bound. Have to separate the tubers every spring. May do that this coming weekend, as temps are supposed to warm up again.
Back to your question about a place to purchase the mesh baskets, look at discount hardware type stores like Menards, Home Depot, Lowes and see what they have, then watch for sales. Good luck!

Reaction score
I was just getting ready to get my pond of winter mode and start buying pots and things for plants, we had 2-3 days of sunshine and the temps were creeping up slowly, then I heard rumours of snow on the weather but dissmissed it and this morning i woke up and there big snow flakes falling :sad:

why won't winter go away, it must be time for summer by now :banghead3:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I found the same thing as ce and to have to destroy a pot that costs good money is not worth it .Dollar store has cheap baskets that have holes in them so if I break them no big deal just a dollar and not 5 dollars .I found though that one of my lilies rotted if I used something with no holes in and guessing it did not get enough oxygen to the root system .Cheap or free is better .I did get some mesh ones at lowes clearanced out for under a dollar .They were like a cloth mesh and were good until you tried to pick them up and they were flexible and slipped out of your hands .Those round ice cream buckets with the plastic handles even work for awhile .But with plastic it does degrade in the pond and starts to break apart .Thinner plastic even faster .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
That's why I love cutting off the bottom of a 3.5 or 5 gal bucket! Seems to be the perfect size, can make the sides as high as you want, and it's very hard to break. Lilies will grow out of these before they break them. I like the handles, but don't like the ice cream buckets breaking. If you separate before they overgrow them, they are fine, but any pressure on the sides and they will crack. And, as Sissy says, they will degrade over time in the water, too.

Reaction score
I thought we were finally in spring, I even de-winterized the pond, we had 2 days in the 50s and 1 even made into the 60s, but then.... back to mid 40s oh winter please please go away!!!

What is the minimum temperature I need to be at before I can consider putting plants in the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My plants were in the pond all winter. I guess it would depend on what type of plants you're talking about. If they are lilies, put them in there. As long as the water is not frozen, they should be ok to put in there. I'm thinking about pulling my lily pots this weekend and separating them and sending extras to anyone who wants them!
Weather has been same around here. Just can't seem to stay above 40 for highs. We get up to 50's and 60's and then it plummets back to the 30's for highs all in the same week. Been doing this see-saw act for the last couple of months. I'm sick of it, ready for the grass to start greening up and the flowers to bloom and not get frozen overnight! Soon ... I'm sure it will be soon ...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had ice on the pond this am, the small ponds, the lilies have new leaves hitting the surface, big pond water is a warm 40, little ponds slightly colder. But plants growing greening blooming. heading to the 70's next week

Reaction score
well its official, winter has ended here, the weather looks amazing, well for the next week or so. Finally get to go out and have fun :)

Reaction score
CountryEscape said:
My plants were in the pond all winter. I guess it would depend on what type of plants you're talking about. If they are lilies, put them in there. As long as the water is not frozen, they should be ok to put in there. I'm thinking about pulling my lily pots this weekend and separating them and sending extras to anyone who wants them!
Weather has been same around here. Just can't seem to stay above 40 for highs. We get up to 50's and 60's and then it plummets back to the 30's for highs all in the same week. Been doing this see-saw act for the last couple of months. I'm sick of it, ready for the grass to start greening up and the flowers to bloom and not get frozen overnight! Soon ... I'm sure it will be soon ...
I'm still interested in one of the Georgia peach lilies if that is OK.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, you already sent me a private message, and I have you on my "list"! It's very likely I will take out all the lilies and separate the tubers this Sunday. If I do, I'll be asking those that want some to give me their home addresses via PM. I'll let you know ahead, though. Going to a huge garden center on Sat. with my girlfriend. She is a Master Gardener and usually goes by herself, so she can bring home a car full of plants, but is letting me go along this year. Hoping there will be room for me to bring a few plants myself! LOL Then, Sunday is going to be a "pond day", as temps are supposed to be in the 70's and sunny! Can't beat that!!!

Reaction score
I didn't want to post too early in case I jinxed it, but I think Spring might have arrived (well for the next week anyway) We got 70's for the next few days and even a day in the 80s, but then back to the high 50's

Bring on the sun!!! :sun_smiley: :sun_smiley: :sun_smiley: :glassesy:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hi, just found this thread! Nice built up pond, and I would keep a couple sedges in the corners and you ay have to srew in a clamp or something creative, to hold a basket in the corners. Sedges are plants that clean the pond, and if planted in a basket the roots can grow thru basket and provide a natural home for fish to hide under should bad birds try to eat fish. Also the sedges will better clean the pond if their roots are dangling free in the water, and a basket will let the plant roots grow nice.

Sedges are plants that have a "spear shaped leaf" such as grass, cattails, irises, and rushes. Some of these plants can grow tall and help Shade the pond without smothering the waters surface.

A water Lilly would also look nice, but be carefully to only get one or you may smother the waters surface completely in that small space. My top pond is built up slightly, similar to yours, and I have a grass in the one corner. I did glue rocks and moss to the one side.

Attachments

• IMAG2321.jpg
    IMAG2321.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_20120515_181904.jpg
    IMG_20120515_181904.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 207
  • IMAG1129-2.jpg
    IMAG1129-2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 212
  • IMAG2154.jpg
    IMAG2154.jpg