Pond plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I need plants for a 2 1/2' deep pond; it's 12 x 12. Have goldfish but no koi. The plants should sit on the bottom in a pot ----- up to 1 gal. but would prefer smaller ones. I'd like the plant to come 1' to 3' out of the water. One that will overwinter in zone 7 would be great but not "must haves". I don't need any floating plants; I have plenty. Thanks.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You asking for plants or recommendations for plants that will grow like you described.

I don’t think There are many/if any emergent plants that will initially when small, sit on the bottom of a 2.5’ deep pond in a 1 gallon container and live to grow 1-3’ out of the water. There are some that will when full grown but are going to need a bigger container than 1 gallon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You asking for plants or recommendations for plants that will grow like you described.

I don’t think There are many/if any emergent plants that will initially when small, sit on the bottom of a 2.5’ deep pond in a 1 gallon container and live to grow 1-3’ out of the water. There are some that will when full grown but are going to need a bigger container than 1 gallon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
do you know where I can purchase some plants? What size of container would some of the ones that will sit on the bottom need?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Just realized you are in Md….Where are you at in Maryland? I have all 3 in my pond, more than enough to share.

There are also Tropic Bay Water gardens in Davidsonville, Md. If you like to purchase From local places. or most online places sell these, like playitkoi, pond megastore, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Just realized you are in Md….Where are you at in Maryland? I have all 3 in my pond, more than enough to share.

There are also Tropic Bay Water gardens in Davidsonville, Md. If you like to purchase From local places. or most online places sell these, like playitkoi, pond megastore, etc.
I'm in Odenton, AA County, near Annap. I already tried Tropic Bay. I actually bought a plant there last year but couldn't remember the name. It was full grown at 3 1/2 ft., gallon pot, spikes that looked like large wild onion shapes. It didn't make it over the winter.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You only live a few minutes away from me. If you want plants I can hook up with some, all of them winter over fine for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You only live a few minutes away from me. If you want plants I can hook up with some, all of them winter over fine for me.
I'd LOVE some. Could I stop by some day/time? What would be best for you?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Jhn Speaking of plants did any of the moss or liver wart over winter?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Moss is growing well, liverwart didn’t make it though, it looked good last year though. Who knows though it may sprout up again somewhere.

Ask a Question