Pond Pump Problems

Reaction score
Hello All,

I've posted before and was given some great advice so I'm hoping this board can help me again!

I can't seem to get my pump system started/working again.

Pump Info:
Pump is outside of the pond and is a MagnaTek 1/4 HP. It pulls water from a top skimmer and a 3' bottom drain. The pond is 16' by 9' and about 6' deep.

Here is what "happened":

• Pump was working fine and water was flowing through the filters & into the waterfall
  • I turned off the pump to clean the pump basket
  • I filled the pump baseket up w/water like i typically do, screwed back on the top, and turned back on the pump
  • The water in the basket is sucked out but then the system doesn't seem to pull any more water from the pond. The pump seems to be working/spinning but nothing is coming out.

Does anybody have any guess of what is happening? Any chance i can fix it?

I live in the Willow Glen area of San Jose. Does anybody live near by that can recommend a person that could fix the pond if necessary?

Thanks
Eric

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Did the seal come off when you cleaned the leaf basket ?
It sounds like your sucking air from some were

Reaction score
Thanks DrCase,

i took a look and it looks like my leaf basket that is right before the pump doesn't have a separate seal/gasket. I put the lid on it and turn the lid as far as possible which makes an air tight seal. I attempted to cover all seals outside with some soap, filled the basket w/water, put the cover on and reran the system. I do not see any air bubbles coming up and i don't hear any air escaping....

There may be a small air leak but nothing i'm seeing.... Any other ideas?

-Eric

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are you sure there is no rubber "O" ring on the lid or basket?
When filled and sealed tight the pump pulls and creates a vacuum effect.
Another thing how much pipe is above the waterline. If there is a lot it would pull air before the water can get to the basket. You should put a swing check valve before the pump, then water would not drain back to the pond.

Reaction score
You guys are awesome!

First off apoligies to DrCase. While I never noticed the gasket before and I looked around the pump to see if it fell off before I posted that there was no gasket... I should of looked harder.. I went back again after DoDad posted and found there definately was an O ring and it had fallen behind the pump..

I have replaced the O ring and got everything working again!

I still need to find somebody in San Jose and show me how to properly maintain the water & vortex filters! If anybody knows of a good pond person in the San Jose, CA area please let me know!

Thanks again for your help!

-Eric

Ask a Question