Pond re-do thus far

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Giant catfish and 6 koi in holding tank. Also one mosquito fish.
FISHYPOND.JPG
The pond before the work.
IMG_4557.jpg
After
IMG_3496.JPG
The newly constructed waterfall that used to leak and it had better not leak anymore.
NEW WATERFALL.jpg
Looks like it did need a cleaning.
mess.JPG

For what I sure hope is the third and final time, the pond has been given a facelift that will, I hope, fix the leaks. The larger, more troublesome waterfall no longer leaks. The smaller one has to be tested. Some material had to dry around the piping and I can turn on the waterfall to test it this afternoon. It certainly looks 100% better. We did not have to buy any new rock. One of the men working on the pond re-stacked the rock.

Since the sides of the pond aren't in a steep drop-off, do I have to worry about raccoons being able to get to the fish? The net is on there all the time. That's my only concern.

I'll still have to get some small decorative rock or plants to place where there is now just soil.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The rocks the way they are stepped is easy access for any animal .Sad to say this but all I see are steps for them .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Any suggestions to hinter animals from trying to get in? Aside from having the rock adjusted?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
a net over the pond is all I can think of .I know nets are not attractive and animals like raccoons and stuff figure out how to get under them after awhile .I have no rocks at all in my pond and I have straight sides .I see a lot of woods around your area and you probably have as many predators as I have .But seems with mine they cannot get in so they give up .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Oh, I forgot - we do have a net and it was put back on the pond after the work.NET.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have huge raccoons, a walk in pond, they never bother it. I never see any evidence of damage to the plants they could knock over, damage to the lilies etc.
I don't see any evidence that they get into the smaller ponds either.

Your pond is beautiful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Thanks, addy1. The smaller waterfall pipe leaks, as we thought it might, so the builder has to return to try to seal it. I want both waterfalls working. The 2nd bubbler air stone needs replacing but the big waterfall is working beautifully.

I know there are coons around, but I have never seen them by the pond and we supply bird seed on the old picnic table outside and also some fruit that my little parrots have taken a bite or two out of. Nothing goes to waste. The groundhogs like the fruit, also. I saw one eating a kiwi that was past its prime, but not rotten, of course.

I can only hope the coons don't taking a liking to the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
The cat was just a tiny little thing when we got him. The previous pond builder brought him to us.

Ask a Question