Pond Revision Phase 2: DIG DIG DIG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Week one was very productive. Was able to get out there 4 nights after work. Thursday I was stuck in an all day and into early evening work seminar. It was a beautiful day here and all I could think about is why am I stuck at a seminar. Anyway got back to it on Friday after work then off Saturday due to the weather. But what a great day to end the week. Spent 7 hours out there today. Someone had to mow the lawn and I had to do some fish tank maintance otherwise I could have been out there for 9 hours....
Here are some pictures of the progress.
Monday I had some help from my wife and daughter. Then I was solo on Tuesday.
IMG_0097.JPG

Wednesday my oldest and her hubby pitched in and Friday I was solo.

IMG_0117.JPG

Saturday was a rain event. So I went with my daughters family to the zoo and found my predator protection
Hmmm on second though she might like to eat the fish
IMG_0121.JPG

Today was with my crew which includes my son, son n law and grandson
IMG_0120.JPG

Here is what was completed
IMG_0118.JPG

Next up is to work on the stream bed and waterfall . This an outline . Not sure yet if I'm going to be able to make the bog. There is space issues.

IMG_0119.JPG

Weather is looking unsettled for the first few days and then a blast to summer weather . So hopefully next Sunday's update will show the above picture completed .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
How exciting. You've made great progress. So nice to have helpers! Where are you putting all your dirt?
Thanks. I used a lot of he dirt to expand the area where the stream will be located. The property slopes away from the shed (last pic). Too view the waterfall and stream from the area of the backyard we hangout at I had to raise the ground when I built the pond 4 years ago. The
stream has been pushed back 5 feet from pond expansion and I added a few more feet to the stream. I do have approx 2 yds of fill dirt in my compost bins. FREE DIRT do you need any? Pick up only:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Looking good! Might I suggest 'meandering' the stream!
That is my goal if I can make it work. The drawing was just not intended to represent the outcome just where the stream will be located. Is your suggestion for aesthetics or is there a functional aspect to a 'meandering' stream..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
not the best drawing...............
Ok I'm not going to win any art work awards.:cry:
The dirt area is 8 feet wide. To the left of the bog there is an additional 3 feet of ground I could try to add to incorporate the bog. The stream is my priority. Is there a minimal width for constructing a stream including the raised sides boardering the stream? The stream bed in my first build was 4 feet wide and planted on both sides. My plan is to replicate the original stream to assist filtering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
That looks great! What are the dimensions?
thanks
Pond will be 17 x 9 x 3. The stream will be 8-15 feet in length. Still working on the design. I have a 100 gal stock tank that was used as a "veggie filter" and will be set up as a waterfall to feed the stream.
Would like to add a bog but not sure about incorporating it with the space I have available

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Is your suggestion for aesthetics or is there a functional aspect to a 'meandering' stream..
The stream bed in my first build was 4 feet wide and planted on both sides. My plan is to replicate the original stream to assist filtering.

A meandering stream is not just curved but also varies in width and to some point depth. Two feet is an ideal minimum width for a stream. Varying the width will give the appearance of speeding up and slowing down the water flow. In addition mini-cascades can be incorporated depending on the grade from stream source to the stream terminus at the pond. A stream will also include planting areas within the stream bed. These will serve the same purpose as a "bog". More detail can be provided.
How long will the projected stream be?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is around a foot wide, mainly due to the steep slope it is on. To make it wider I would have had to dig that much more of the slope out. There are places it is wider, smaller, and ponds incorporated as it turns corners.

I like your thoughts Meyer!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
How long will the projected stream be?
15 to 17 ft in length. I have 8 feet in width available. . I have plenty of dirt to increase the slope . Right now the stream bed is 2 inches higher than where it will enter the pond
. A stream will also include planting areas within the stream bed.
That is my plan. The original stream was planted on both margins. It was a straight run 2 tiered 8 X 4 X 4 inches deep. NO pools . River stone in the center with pea gravel anchoring the plants.
These will serve the same purpose as a "bog".
That's what I am hoping it will do.
. More detail can be provided
Thanks I would appreciate your input for design

Ask a Question