Pond screen

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just use some lightweight plastic deer netting over my pond for a month or so, while the heaviest leaf fall occurs. My pond has the waterfall side higher than the other, so the net is slanted, and most of the leaves that land on the net just end up blowing off. Then once we've cleaned/raked up the whole yard, we take it off. The few stray leaves we get, we just remove with a dip net, and then it usually freezes over for the duration of winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I built screen walls and roof around/over it, so, leaves aren't an issue, other than the redbud I'm bonsai-ing inside...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We've never netted the pond - I'm a scooper, too @BKHpondcritters . I've always had a picture in my mind of a pond covered with a net full of leaves and then that random snowfall that always seems to happen. I don't relish the idea of a net full of heavy, wet leaves! And the shape, size and construction of our pond wouldn't really make it easy to completely cover the pond with a net so we've just never bothered.

To be honest, we don't have that many leaves that make it into the pond from our trees, but we do get a fair share that blow in over winter. Leaving the plants that will stand all winter around the pond does help to catch them before they find their way in the water.

Ask a Question