Pond in Wet Area

Reaction score
Country
United States
We live in Florida and are prone to flooding rains. I would like to expand my pond but the area that would be most ideal visually is in a avery wet area when we have drenching rains. Is there danger of the liner floating up or losing the integrity of the sides if we built i this area and had flooding rains?

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
We live in Florida and are prone to flooding rains. I would like to expand my pond but the area that would be most ideal visually is in a avery wet area when we have drenching rains. Is there danger of the liner floating up or losing the integrity of the sides if we built i this area and had flooding rains?
There is always a danger of this if your pond is dug below the water table, so If you do choose to expand this, during construction you may need to have a drainage pumpr eady to go at any time, and also possible other measures, although I am not to sure about that.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you have the actual water level of the pond higher than ground level, it will help.

EF647FEC-8D2E-49EB-A446-59EEA80119AD.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the input. Do you achieve this by building up the sides of the pond with a border and laying the liner over that?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the input. Do you achieve this by building up the sides of the pond with a border and laying the liner over that?
Yep! I built a “collar” of cinderblock. The top edge of the pond was 8”-12” tall, so I was able to have the water level up at least 6” above ground level. After that, never had another problem with slumping, slipping side walls, or “water hippos.” Might not be the solution for everyone but it was a 100% success for me and our clay and high water table.

Some folks on here have installed something like a French drain around their pond’s perimeter, and some have used sump pumps.

Ask a Question