Pond Shell

Reaction score
So, yesterday I got a 125 gallon pond shell from Home Depot. I plan on burying it, and leaving maybe a small lip above ground that I can put rocks around so it won't be level with the gravel.

If I have the shell do I need to use a liner? I've had one friend tell me I have to, and another say I can if I want. If it's not nessesary I won't do it, I just need to know that I'm not putting my pond in danger if I don't.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
NO! you do not need a flexable liner under your prefab liner, dig your hole just slightly larger than the tub, and preferrably slightly deeper, layer a little sand in the hole.put in the tub, fill it about 1/3 full, make sure its level. fill the surrounding hole with sand,let the hose run on the sand... this will let it settle in, keep it saturated while you fill the pond. the next day finish off any sand filling still needed if any, landscape, setup your filter, and your install is complete.

Reaction score
Awesome, that's what I was hoping for. I thought it'd be a waste to get a liner. And you mentioned to fill in holes with sand? I was going to use the dirt that I dug out, would that be a bad idea?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well you live in florida so you know how sand is in water, if you back fill around the pond and keep water flowing slowly into it it will settle in tight, and when its all said and done, the sand will allow drainage around the pond, so water wont build up under the liner and stay there. the dirt you dig out use to build up your waterfall mound,if you like or whatever.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
its easier to do it now then later after youve landscaped and all. a waterfall biofiltration system is easy to build(skippy style, which is better than any store bought filter). a five gallon bucket or preferrably a rubber maid storage(around 10 gallon) tote will more than suffice for your pond. you will definately need a biological filter if you want your fish healthy,and happy.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
building a 55 gallon bio filter is the thread .. just shrink it down to a 5 gallon bucket or tote. mine is a 70 gallon stock tank outside, and a 27gal on my basement pond. google skippy fiter and youl find a bunch of sites with instructions, and pix.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
MamaGreenThumb said:
I got a Beckett pond pump, I'm hoping it's what I need. How do I build a waterfall biofiltration system with a 5 gallon bucket? Is there a thread you can link me to?

how many gph is your pump?

Ask a Question