Pond shelves and dimensions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Does anyone know of any plants that could survive year round (in my hardiness zone 6a) that produce edible food inside a bog filter?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will be adding a pre-filter box so the pipes don't get clogged too fast.
I pull water from about a foot from the bottom. I have a external pump with a leaf basket, never empty it over the summer. Having the intake off the bottom keeps the sucked in debris low.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Does anyone know of any plants that could survive year round (in my hardiness zone 6a) that produce edible food inside a bog filter?
Do you mean food you can eat? In winter when pond is dormant and the fish are in tupor the bacteria has died back (still some present) and no concern regarding filtration for the most part. I’ve grown tomatoes and basil in the bog. The only issue with vegetables and herbs is that early spring you really want something stable that can survive over winter like marginals. Iris can be aggressive but some people use it, I have horsetail rush but don’t know it it would do well in your zone. Creeping Jenny too. Once it’s warm enough for vegetables in they go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Do you mean food you can eat? In winter when pond is dormant and the fish are in tupor the bacteria has died back (still some present) and no concern regarding filtration for the most part. I’ve grown tomatoes and basil in the bog. The only issue with vegetables and herbs is that early spring you really want something stable that can survive over winter like marginals. Iris can be aggressive but some people use it, I have horsetail rush but don’t know it it would do well in your zone. Creeping Jenny too. Once it’s warm enough for vegetables in they go.
Yes, food I can eat. I mean ones that aren't needed to re-plant in the bog in the spring, things that can survive over the winter and bounce back in the spring. Also, how would I plant something like that? Wouldn't the seeds get pushed away into the water?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, food I can eat. I mean ones that aren't needed to re-plant in the bog in the spring, things that can survive over the winter and bounce back in the spring. Also, how would I plant something like that? Wouldn't the seeds get pushed away into the water?
I would think that you wouldn’t plant them in a bog as seeds. More like, start them, then transplant. I don’t know about where you live, but here in zone 8a/b, not much grows during winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I would think that you wouldn’t plant them in a bog as seeds. More like, start them, then transplant. I don’t know about where you live, but here in zone 8a/b, not much grows during winter.
I'm not concerned about them growing during the winter, but them living through it and being able to grow in the spring. I live in Michigan.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Watercress is the moss hardly lettuce if only its feet are wet will thrive same with most vegetable but not a chancellor year round do you see anything green in your. Area in January.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Is it alright if I dig the hole a few days before I put the liner in? It's supposed to thunderstorm a few times so I'm wondering if my edges would get destroyed.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All depends on the type of soil you have.

Is it alright if I dig the hole a few days before I put the liner in? It's supposed to thunderstorm a few times so I'm wondering if my edges would get destroyed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Even installing the underlay.ent can do a lot to prevent collapse. If not drapping a tarp into the pond covering the edges. Then pump out the water. If you plan to install the tarp in the very near future then I wouldnt let the water collect in the pond but place a tarp just as it was the liner and pump it out. Using the liner is OK but careful not to stretch and rip it .

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Based on my experience, if you KNOW you have storms coming, and it wouldn’t be an inconvenience, I would wait to dig after the storms — that is, unless you can get it dug and underlayment and liner in before the storms. Even with tarps, we had as much water in our “hole” as if the tarps hadn’t been there. For us, it was a royal PITA to have to pump out water and correct for slippages. But there is no wrong or right way to do it, and as @addy1 said, a lot depends on the type of soil you have. We don’t have “soil” here — just mucky clay and a high water table.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I've got a few new questions. Not much of an electrician or plumber but here goes.

Q1: I've heard it's ok to use an extension cord year round on a pump cord as long as I wrap the connection with waterproof tape. Is this true?

An extension cord used outside is only for temporary use. Period.

They can be a tripping hazard, get damaged from lawn mowers, pedestrian traffic and over time, weather and UV (sunlight) will damage the outer insulation. They are also not meant to be buried. They also have to be rated for the amperage you will be drawing.

Taping the "plugs" can trap water and cause the connection to corrode. This can cause a considerable amount of resistance. Resistance causes heat. Heat melts the plastic and you can cause a fire.

Whatever you do, make sure your circuit is protected by a GFCI.

It's best to do a permanent installation following the proper electrical codes of your area. If you're not knowledgeable or comfortable doing a proper job, higher a licensed electrician. Electricity is not to be fooled with, especially around bodies of water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So, I decided to go ahead and dig out the pond. Granted, it looks pretty awful, no landscaping or plants around it at all, so I'm looking for recommendations as to where to put the filter, what plants to put in etc. Unfortunately, there aren't really any places near me where I can buy rocks, so I'm pretty stumped on that as well.
I did want to add some creeping jenny to try and fill some parts in, but I can't find any for a reasonable price online.

Attachments

• 20200822_175333.jpg
    20200822_175333.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 90
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It all takes time. In fact it sometimes seems it never ends. I'm always tweaking this or that.
So dont worry, you'll get there. Take your time.

Rocks/stones are plentiful were I live, so I'm lucky. Many here either buy their rocks or collect them during outdoor adventures.

You could also go the route of slate, manufactured pavers, various cap stones, etc. Check local garden centers, mason supply places or stone quarries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks for the encouraging words! :giggle:
Do you have any recommendations as to where to put my filter (that tub shown in the pic)?

Ask a Question