Pond shelves and dimensions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have some in my bog, every year I chop it back by 1/2 had kept it in good control.
There are some plants that you pretend to try & get rid of every year. You yank, pull, dig, etc... to remove every single solitary last bit of it. This leaves you with *just* the right amount of that plant left. (No, you will never actually get rid of it...) :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hey guys, so I did have some runoff from clay soil into my water and it coated the sides, creating a murky mess. It hasn't cleared up in about a week. Should I clean off the sides with a hose and do a big ol' water change? What's the best method to go about cleaning clay out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Would anyone happen to know what a "slope of 1 to 4" means? It can't mean feet since our requirement is a fish pond must be under 2ft. I also don't plan on adding any slopes and just having shelves.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The measurement ,inches, feet yards matters not its for ever one in the one direction it's four in the other in the same designation of what ever the first was so yes it for ever foot in rise there's 4 feet in run.
I believe your looking at a natural pond build with the 1 to 4. Which is what you need to keep beach sand from falling to the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Would anyone happen to know what a "slope of 1 to 4" means? It can't mean feet since our requirement is a fish pond must be under 2ft. I also don't plan on adding any slopes and just having shelves.
1:4 is a ratio. It means, go one part down to every four parts outward, to keep things running downhill at a good pace. Seems pretty extreme for a slope for just basic runoff management, I dunno the context though. A slope of 1:4 on your waterfall or waterway would be the minimum I'd want to mess with to make the water go in the correct direction, but requiring a 1:4 ratio on your yard to get the runoff to flow into your pond as a catch basin (say in the case of making a rain garden) it would be excessive in most cases.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
yes; generally it's 1 part up (y axis) for 4 parts forward (x axis). Typically for roofs, you'd have 8/12 pitch or 3/12 (in my case) and it's done in inches.
This is what it was, literally just rise over run lol! The environmental department of engineering called me and explained it in better terms for a pond, and that I'm okay if I just use shelves.

Thanks guys!

Ask a Question