Pond shrimp - LOADS of them

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all - my pond is barely 1 year old, so still very much in its establishment phase. I've got loads of hornwort and other plants in it, but over the summer it was still overrun by string algae. Now that we're in september, the algae seems to be less of an issue, but it is teeming with freshwater shrimp - gammarus (i think!!). i see them on the edges and each plant pot has them - not like an infestation, but there clearly everywhere in the pond. I can't actually find any info about these guys - is it a good thing to have in the pond, or do they indicate anything problematic?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Interesting! Do you have fish in the pond? I wonder if these will survive colder water temps.

Essentially I have no idea, but I doubt they'll hurt anything!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
no fish, its just a wildlife pond so its rather still water as well. I think they mustve hitched a ride on one of the pond plants i bought, but i didnt expect them to multiply this much.
There seems to be conflicting reports out there about whether they are indicators of good water, or whether they are robust enough to survive in any kind of water so that no inference can be drawn from their presence.

I dont have any predators in the pond that i know of either so hoping they dont go out of control...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Now, that is something I've never seen in a garden pond. How interesting! Sounds like the little guys are doing a great job with algae control. Are you able to make an image of any of them? Actually, it would quite informative if you would keep us posted on what happens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes, and if they are helping, you might set up an aquarium to have some for spring to restock the pond. Or, you know, ship some out to there who’d like them!

Ask a Question