Country
United States
was thinking of adding something different next year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought 50 trapdoor snails earlier in the year they did pretty well until the water got warmer and the Koi got hungrier...... This is what I have learned about Koi eating habits in my first year of ponding...... They will eat anything that moves, except Toad frog tadpoles......I had a huge Tree Frog egg laying session.....in a few days I had thousands of tiny tree frog tadpoles, within three days they were all gone. They will completely destroy water hyacinth, but they leave my lilies (although they love to rearrange them) and water cabbage alone.....all my terrestrial plants are in baskets secured..... But they keep the roots neatly trimmed...... Don't get me wrong....I love my Koi but they can be destructive..... Lol Jimmy

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yep, the Koi will likely eat the shrimp. Another thing to consider is shrimp are very particular as to water quality especially salinity and temperature. In addition shrimp feed solely on phytoplankton (floating algae) so a somewhat high Phosphorus level is desired to maintain this phytoplankton growth which is contrary to the low level desired for Garden Ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yep, the Koi will likely eat the shrimp. Another thing to consider is shrimp are very particular as to water quality especially salinity and temperature. In addition shrimp feed solely on phytoplankton (floating algae) so a somewhat high Phosphorus level is desired to maintain this phytoplankton growth which is contrary to the low level desired for Garden Ponds.

I don't have a DKP and pretty sure i have no koi at this point. shubs comets and GF no clue on count in the 7k gallon pond as there is a crap of fry that survived.

I have seen vie google fresh water shrimp which is what my pond is.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Hmm not shrimp, but crayfish, crawdads we call em. Caught some in the river put in pond, never saw again.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have seen vie google fresh water shrimp which is what my pond is.

Fresh water shrimp are usually kept in aquaria where temperature can be somewhat controlled. I don't believe that they would be suited to an outdoor pond unless it was dedicated solely to shrimp culture. Again, serving as prey for fish fish, being the greatest argument against housing them in a multi-specie pond.
But you can try.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hmm not shrimp, but crayfish, crawdads we call em. Caught some in the river put in pond, never saw again.
yeah, I was thinking to add some mini lobsters next season, they never did well in my indoor tanks in the past, probably not much better outside....

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Crayfish are extremely reclusive, in all likelihood if you keep one in your pond you won't see it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Had a crayfish tag-a-long on a plant I bought and didn't know I even had one until a year later, and that was by accident.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
They crawl out.
Although I've never seen one in the wild outside of a creek, inside of a pond or fish tank, they like to climb out.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Ive seen them crawling around my old pond occasionally, but they always end up back in the pond. Had a couple in there for a couple years, those guys got big for a crayfish. They would hide in the folds of the liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I've tried shrimp when my pond was 250 gallons... they disappear and hardly show up. Fish eats them I presume. There are no shrimp that I know of that can tolerate my hardiness zone.

If you have any success let me know.

Ask a Question