Pond Water temp

Reaction score
Hi

I was walking around my pond and did the 'toe test' and the water was quite warm . I was a bit surprised as its been quite cool out, I have no way to check the actual temp but have I anything to be concerned about ? This is making me think again about my pond depths , i don't want unhappy fish.

Cheers
Martin

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
For now just get a regular outside one and check the temp of your water .I did mine about 4 feet deep because it is hot here ,But then read about septic tanks and heat they give off and realized my water gets warmer because I am about 10 feet or so from it .Great for winter but not so great for summer .I provide shade for the fish by first building a bridge and then putting up shade fabric for my pond

Reaction score
yep try and get a thermometer as fish are ok with warm water but when you start approaching 90 or above it can stress them out.. water quality drops and oxygen content is hard to keep up... try using some sort of cover not necessarily covering the whole pond.. strong water current and some good aeration

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Some shade would be good for them. It can be something temporary or permanent. You could plant some tall grassy plants that hang over the waters edge or evergreen shrubs that are tall enough to provide some shade. Water lilies floating on the surface provide shade also or any potted tall plants in there too.

Reaction score
Hi

I was walking around my pond and did the 'toe test' and the water was quite warm . I was a bit surprised as its been quite cool out, I have no way to check the actual temp but have I anything to be concerned about ? This is making me think again about my pond depths , i don't want unhappy fish.

Cheers
Martin
The fish are probably fine with the warmer water, but I don't know how happy they'll be with you sticking your smelly feet in their water. :yikesu:

Reaction score
The fish are probably fine with the warmer water, but I don't know how happy they'll be with you sticking your smelly feet in their water. :yikesu:

Ha ha , true ... though was just a toe :)

Yep the pond has decent shade , there is a large tree beside it that blocks out the mid afternoon / evening sun as it sets in the West

shade.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
your fish should be fine for shade .do you have one those outside thermometers stick it in the water

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Man I had to do a double take and enlarge that photo Mrk cuz that heron looks so real!
Those floating thermometers are reasonably priced so grab one up at a store near you or online. Good to have!

Reaction score
your fish should be fine for shade .do you have one those outside thermometers stick it in the water

Yeah I agree, Don't have a thermometer but I will get one .

Man I had to do a double take and enlarge that photo Mrk cuz that heron looks so real!
Those floating thermometers are reasonably priced so grab one up at a store near you or online. Good to have!

Lol yep your not the first one to have thought that !

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I just checked my preformed pond that is above ground and the water temp is 94. I put a little water from the hose in to cool it and put a gazebo over the pond for some shade, hope it's enough.

It has 8 goldfish in it, three that are around an inch or two and 5 that probably 4 inches. should I move them to my in ground pond? It is 4x6 and around 21 inches deep with 5 koi all between 8 to 12 inches. I plan on digging a much larger pond next year but for now I'm not sure if I should put 13 fish in a pond that small but the above ground is way too hot..any suggestions?

Reaction score
Wow that does seem to be too hot for goldfish ? Good idea putting the gazebo over it , maybe check it again after 24hrs and see if the temps have dropped ?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
water from the hose should be minimal as you could shock your fish .

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
water from the hose should be minimal as you could shock your fish .

I made sure it was just a small amount in case of that, It dropped just a degree or two. I'm still considering putting all of the goldies in the ground pond with the koi since there is no end in sight to our heat right now.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh know that also only cool day is tomorrow here then supposed to be in the high 90's and by thursday it is supposed to be 102 and my pond is in full sun .I did put up my home made shade sail

Ask a Question