PondMutt Land Between the Rivers Tenn.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
This isn't the easiest thread to follow.

So far:
Pool leaking with fish in it.
Unknown number of fish
What to do with the fish

Do not put the fish in the local river!
There is probably a local aquaponics group that would be willing to take the fish.

Correct so far?

If so, can you post a picture of where you want to transfer the fish?
Are you monitoring the water chemical parameters of the "rescue tank"?
After the fish are transferred to a new location we can then talk setup for their new larger permanent home.

The rest of the information and discussion is putting the cart before the horse.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My neighbor brought me over those 2000 gallon plastic tanks that have a meta cage around them to put my fish in .I got bad disks at office max for my camera so all my pics are lost .He uses them to catch water and cut the tops out of them .He has since did what I did and put a tank in the ground and left the top on and ran his gutters to it .The other way attracts mosquito's

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It depends on how you use them .My underground tank has a pipe that comes out above ground and I put a top on the pipe and when I need water I add fertilizer and drop a pump down attached to a hose and water my yard and plants .Ponds also breed mosquito's .My above ground tank gets mosquito dunks in it and fertilizer in them and they have tops on them .I have seen more stuffed up gutters and garbage cans attracting mosquito's than rain barrels .Even watering cans and buckets left out will attract them .You need to always think about things before you do a project .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
also to be considered is dwell time in the bio-reactor

Actually it has been shown that increasing RT (resident time) in a biofilter can actually have a negative impact on total TAN removal.
A flow rate of 1.5 - 2.0 of total pond (tank) volume is indicated for medium to high stocking levels. In your case, using your figures of 300 lbs. fish in a 5,000 gallon tank, you would have a stocking density of about 7 kg/m3 which is considered a medium loading rate. So a flow rate of at least 7500 gph is indicated.
It should also be pointed out that a 1% body weight feeding regime is quite low and will not allow for any growth or weight gain in the fish. It will just barely maintain their metabolic rate. Most RAS systems employ a feeding level of 3%, but their goal is to promote weight gain at the fastest rate. I would recommend for your purposes no less than 2%.

This isn't the easiest thread to follow.
I have to agree. @PondMutt, your writing style is quite difficult to follow. Too much unnecessary information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How nice you folks are .. so far .. .. BTW i did not get a 5 K rescue in , just a 3K.. , .it is quite the long story .. it starts in Korea , on the DMZ , last century .. i was shipping back and wanted a pond/ stream .and in that dirty hole with a troop . . this sergeant i worked with had degree in aqua-culture / unable to find stream , unable to find pond ..soo...
well maybe the story starts earlier .. all those years overseas. one can not build property equity overseas ..
... iam just happy i did not crap in my messkit so far as this forum is concerned ,,do you understand the vernacular i hope .
open new string .. i think DIY would be proper

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
what a terrible time i am having .. 1000 keystrokes in explanation and then one misstoke and i was all gone ..

it is quite upsetting to me to catch these fish .. i expect it s quite upsetting to them too,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
i like to let these guys rest for a couple days or more be fore steesing them . \ i think they might be smaRTER THAN WHAT YOU THINK.
had to reaLLY SNEAK UP ON THIS BIG GIRL
netted out a big fish .. 2 foot of meat .. ,, one will not catch such fish with a net on a stick.. , 32 by 16 foot area to run .. and this is an old fish and smart . ..
fast fish ..
cast net [ what a big noise when the final cast caught ] .
i think the measure WAS 24 inch fish[ measure meat not fin] 9 inches deep . did not get a width measure ,, whats this fish weigh
BIG GIRL.jpg View attachment 976 36[/ATTACH]BIG GIRL.jpg BIGGIRL2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
where was i at , where am i at .. // i crammed couple morebags of media in the stock tank , .. did a flow measure .[ to insure accuracy need ti di x 10 ,
but on first examination the draw down judgement seem ti be accurate..
flowing about 3 K thorough the stock tank ,,

NO DISTRESS SEEN FROM FISH

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
i am sorry i write so stream of conscious ..
i will try to do better ,

If this is your stream of conscience, then your brain is an interesting space!

You can write however you please, but I will tell you it's very difficult to follow your train of thought. Which in turn will make it very difficult to offer any useful advice. If you stick to a more factual presentation of the situation I think you will find the replies you get will be more helpful as well as more plentiful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
On the feeding rate, there is a Canadian university, can't remember the name off hand, that did an excellent feeding study and identified that with a group of mature koi, just about as big as they get, the minimum feeding rate is 1.5% of total body weight. 2 to 3.5% is the range for a koi school with juveniles, your choice. Championship pond owners do what they call power feeding at 4% above 65 degrees water temp. The guys are spot on, you are low. You will see that your fish will lose their fusiform shape and develop an indentation behind the gill cover if they are underfed. I've seen that effect in as many as 75% of my pond visits with fish problems.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
feed rate is ..least as is possible for me , inital doc referenced indicates maint. is 1% fish weight . so with 300 lbs fish that would be 3 lbs a day ,, I NEVER feed 3 lbs.. like one guy said I ain't never seen a fish starve to death but loads died from bad water from excess food.

Yes, 1% of body weight is entirely too low of a feeding rate for carp/koi. 3% is typically recommended for adult fish. (If fish are raised in an earthen-bottom pond, the feeding rate is about half this.) You can arrive at more exact rates by drilling down on details such a weight of individual fish, feed composition, stocking densities and temperature.The rate for fry and fingerlings is a good bit higher.
You are right about not hearing of fish starving to death. That is because they succumb to some disease or pathogen attack before this can happen. Starving (or even chronic underfeeding) a fish will greatly weaken its immune response setting the stage for premature mortality.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
all response read . please post in my DIY rescue tank string .. .. i think last year i fed 120 lbs floating catfish food , consider though in the big tank quite a lot of string algae . i often see them grazing on the sides . not to mention breeding population of fatheads ,, and feeder gold fish .. ..all in the 13K gallon tank [ in failure now..i think its 40 years old .. ] .. i will be so happy when i +finally + net out the fish and move them to the rescue tank.. , tear it out and the old deck . open up all that square foot for beds .. ..
plan is to rescue fish .. place in rescue tank , tear out that 16 x 32 oval , and the deck , install an 18 foot dia 54 inch tank ,, round , .. move fish again , relocate the rescue .. .. the 18 dia with 4 foot water should be 7 k gallon , the 12 dia rescue with 4 foot water 3k gallon . ..

dreams ,, dreams to remember ..i got dreams to remember ..

Ask a Question