Potential Critical Situation

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
  1. From the attach image you will see that I have discovered what I believe is a root (area shown in green circle) pushing on the liner. I also believe I have determined its path (green lines)above and below water. I'm thinking the only recourse is to dig out that area and cut the root. What is your opinion?
  2. A portion of the above water liner is tightly stretched over an approximate 2.5' x 6" flat stone that I put there when building the pond. This area is shown in a orange box. I am considering removing that stone to lessen strain on the liner. By removing the stone the bank will also be lowered. The bank will still be higher than the max water level so I see not problems in that regard. What is your opinion?
Thanks in advance.

007.JPG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Now, understand, this isn't related to rubber liners...... But in my experience with roots, they tend to grow & bend to the contours of whatever container they are in. If there is a small hole, then they'll grow through that, pushing and expanding as they go. I wouldn't think the root would be a problem -- but again...... (If it was me -- I'm super paranoid -- I would dig it out, but see what others have to say....)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Since the root is easy to get to, cut it out. It likely will not ever damage the liner, but it will get bigger as it grows and become a 'eyesore'.

Don't know why you originally placed the flat stone there, but when you remove it just backfill with soil.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Since the root is easy to get to, cut it out. It likely will not ever damage the liner, but it will get bigger as it grows and become a 'eyesore'.

Don't know why you originally placed the flat stone there, but when you remove it just backfill with soil.

Would have been fantastic if I had a clue as to what I was doing back so many years ago. I was building our pond by the seat of my pants. Clueless but determined. My how I have paid for the many mistakes I made. Having this forum about 15 to 18 years ago would have been great.

Thanks Meyer

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It would really helped if I had a clue to what I was going back so many years ago. I was building our pond by the seat of my pants. Clueless but determined. My how I have paid for the many mistakes I made. Having this forum about 15 to 18 years ago would have been great.

Thanks Meyer

I think we all have 'Been there - done that'. At times being unnecessarily cautious and others being impatiently reckless.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
When out pond was being built, we had to cut one large root and it didn't affect the tree :)

Ask a Question