Potential Problem noted by loss of Snails.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Soft water is normal for my area and there has never been a problem keeping snails. Snails do need Calcium, however. Calcium is not usually deficient in an eco-system pond because most minerals are re-cycled. As callingcolleen1 mentioned, if you are seeing holes in the shells or evidence that the shells are dissolving, then there is a definite Calcium deficiency.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Soft water usually equates to mineral shortage. Hard water equates to heavy minerals and terrible suds for laundry. When water becomes soft natually over time in ecosystem as minerals are depleated and sucked out by some plants (sedges) and with no natural water running in from over land via a stream or creek, and using rainwater, that makes it even softer. Rainwater has no minerals and is very very soft. Soft water makes for good bubbles in laundry cause it is void of many minerals, but not so good for your pond cause ithe PH is very very low in rainwater.

I am willing to bet Your PH will be very low and your pond is depleted of natual minerals found in natural ecosystem that is fed by stream or creek.
I used to pick snails and clams out of river for years, and the best place to find clams is where a stream feeds the river, cause that brings in more minerals for clams to build shells.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Also it is unnatural for a real pond to be fed by just rainwater alone. You need water from land to balance the pond better. Also should be noted that fish will have harder time breathing if water is too soft (low ph)

And then there is more acid rain these days.. (really low ph)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Soft water is normal for my area and there has never been a problem keeping snails. Snails do need Calcium, however. Calcium is not usually deficient in an eco-system pond because most minerals are re-cycled. As callingcolleen1 mentioned, if you are seeing holes in the shells or evidence that the shells are dissolving, then there is a definite Calcium deficiency.
You HAVE to have LOTS of fresh water that runs over land to build good snail shells. Trust me, some snails like Apple Snails can over breed and there is no recycling of minerals that quickly

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
How long have you had the rainwater butts and used them for topping of the pond water?
We have had them for years and every year they get tipped out and cleaned, otherwise I would have looked at those being a possible cause. Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Soft water usually equates to mineral shortage. Hard water equates to heavy minerals and terrible suds for laundry. When water becomes soft natually over time in ecosystem as minerals are depleated and sucked out by some plants (sedges) and with no natural water running in from over land via a stream or creek, and using rainwater, that makes it even softer. Rainwater has no minerals and is very very soft. Soft water makes for good bubbles in laundry cause it is void of many minerals, but not so good for your pond cause ithe PH is very very low in rainwater.

I am willing to bet Your PH will be very low and your pond is depleted of natual minerals found in natural ecosystem that is fed by stream or creek.
I used to pick snails and clams out of river for years, and the best place to find clams is where a stream feeds the river, cause that brings in more minerals for clams to build shells.
That sounds like a very positive step forward. Thankyou.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Even though you are using rainwater, I am not convinced that you have a Calcium shortage. Since you have been using these rain butts for this purpose for years, any Calcium deficiency would have manifested before now. I do agree that rainwater is devoid of any useful mineral content, but enough organic debris is introduced to a pond from the surrounding environment, usually trees , that the Calcium levels are adequately maintained. Add to this the fact that commercial fish food is fortified with calcium and considering the fact that only 15%-20% of what is eaten is digested, 80%-85% of this Calcium is released into the water column. I you want to be absolutely certain, Calcium test kits are readily available.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=pets&field-keywords=calcium+test+kit

Additionally, a Calcium deficiency would have no impact on Sticklebacks.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I am 100 percent certain it is a shortage of minerals as I have much experience with snails of all types. I have had almost every snail out there including wild snails. I still have snails on every fish tank and every pond. I have same snail colony for over 30 years. I have seen this problem over and over in my fish tanks if I do not change the water often enough.

The trouble is over the years the plants grow larger and thicker and consume more minerals. Then the snail population can explode under certain conditions. If you have little to no fish, the snails get even more out of control. If you have no fish then do a large water change with fresh water from tap and within a week you will see new strong growth on snail shells.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Even though you are using rainwater, I am not convinced that you have a Calcium shortage. Since you have been using these rain butts for this purpose for years, any Calcium deficiency would have manifested before now. I do agree that rainwater is devoid of any useful mineral content, but enough organic debris is introduced to a pond from the surrounding environment, usually trees , that the Calcium levels are adequately maintained. Add to this the fact that commercial fish food is fortified with calcium and considering the fact that only 15%-20% of what is eaten is digested, 80%-85% of this Calcium is released into the water column. I you want to be absolutely certain, Calcium test kits are readily available.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=pets&field-keywords=calcium+test+kit

Additionally, a Calcium deficiency would have no impact on Sticklebacks.
Trap door snails are fairly large and I highly doubt that there will be enough minerals in a pond fed by rainwater. It sounds like he had a large population and the stuff that falls into pond will NOT come even close to providing the minerals required by larger snails. Snails need a steady constant supply of fresh water. When I had very large Apple Snails, over 100 very large snails in a 1000 gallon pond at this greenhouse where I used to breed them, I needed to have a constant supply of fresh water or the shell would start to turn white.

I have had many years of experience with snails, and I know 100 percent that I am right.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Trap door snails are fairly large and I highly doubt that there will be enough minerals in a pond fed by rainwater. It sounds like he had a large population and the stuff that falls into pond will NOT come even close to providing the minerals required by larger snails. Snails need a steady constant supply of fresh water. When I had very large Apple Snails, over 100 very large snails in a 1000 gallon pond at this greenhouse where I used to breed them, I needed to have a constant supply of fresh water or the shell would start to turn white.

I have had many years of experience with snails, and I know 100 percent that I am right.

A simple test can corroborate you.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
A simple test can corroborate you.
Yes it can for your piece of mind, but I am very sure of the results. Like I said I have much experience over many many years with all kinds of snails Jordan, and the first sign of mineral shortage and low PH, the snails shells will break down very quick and tiny holes appear and you end up with a ton of white shell snails and many dead snails. Seen it many many times. Trap door snails are about half as large as Apple Snails and if you only have one or two in pond with mineral shortage it is not so noticeable, but if you have large amount of these snails they require large amounts of minerals.
There is no doubt in my mind of this as I have seen it many times. Larger snails need lot's of mineral rich water, that is why in the river here in town the clams gather in larger numbers by streams and creeks that pour into river, cause they need tons of minerals and take advantage of fresh water that pours over land, as that water will be the most mineral rich.

Ask a Question