Using clay kitty litter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Ok, so it seems like many of you are saying clay unscented non clumping Kitty litter is the way to go for planting In baskets on the pond bottom. So I got some and it’s quite dusty, do you all wash it first before putting it in the pots or will that make it useless?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The dust will cloud the water but no big deal as it will dissipate eventually and won't hurt anything. I never wash mine, just wait for it to go away. The fish like to dig in it and disperse in here and there. I say oh well it's their home and if they like it that way on the pond bottom then so be it :joyful:

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I pot my plant and then give it a rinse with pond water to get the worst of the dust off before putting it in the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just fill the pot put in the water. The dust does not bother me

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i don't remember seeing or hearing anyone say they used a basket. Cheap oil pan tubs and mason trough , but don't remember baskets

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe this kind? I have a few but don't use them anymore.
basket.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have used the aquatic potting bags. They have worked well because they can squish and conform to fit between rocks and such. Makes it easier to hide them. For lilies, I just use the oil pans or utility tubs. The clay dust totally clouds the water for a little while and then disappears!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those baskets with my koi would never work every time a root got close to the edge of the basket they would be tearing away at the basket pushing on it and after a couple days the kitty litter nuggets are mush so every time it's disturbed it lets off more into the water clouding it up. Heck I have to put 2to 4 inch rocks on the top to keep the koi from digging at the roots.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I use kitty litter in my planted pots, but one trick I've started doing is getting it wet outside the pond and letting the pot sit for a bit int he sun. The litter will start to dissolve a bit and then become a bit more firm. When I would put the pots into the pond freshly planted with dry litter, I felt like too much dust was flowing everywhere and my tubers liked to try to float away.

I like the fabric bags, too, but be aware that plant roots will go through the bag eventually and they will break down. I've used these for plants that I intended to leave in place once they were established. The bag eventually becomes part of the root ball.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was contemplating learning how to use the sewing machine and use some non woven 8 oz fabric . The ONLY thing I hate about my pond is seeing planting pots. Though once the lilies get going it's hard to see them from outside the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Thank you all, for some reason I didn’t get notified of all these replies. I did see the first couple though. I just ended up trying the Kitty litter out in one basket in which I planted two water lilies I dug up from a lake. I put the litter in a bucket first and rinsed it to get rid of most of the dust this also compacted it and made it heavier so when I poured it into the basket and added the plants it didn’t float up or come loose when I sank the basket. Hardly any clouding of the water around the basket and all seems well. Thanks again for the ideas

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I've been using kitty litter to line gaps in rocks in my stream build. After planting in it, I add river pebbles to make it look a bit nicer. I do usually rinse it a bit first, using a fish net to hold it, just because it makes less of a mess that way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I was contemplating learning how to use the sewing machine and use some non woven 8 oz fabric . The ONLY thing I hate about my pond is seeing planting pots. Though once the lilies get going it's hard to see them from outside the pond.
What type of fabric; why non-woven? Just curious; I sew a lot and might be up for helping figure this out with you, depending on how complicated (i.e. whether I can do it!)

Ask a Question