Power Outage for 3 Hours

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The power went out this morning at 6:30 and did not come back on until 9:30. The fish seem fine, but I am concerned about my bacteria in my skippies. It is a cloudy morning and temps are around 50 - 55 degrees. Do you think my bacteria survived? or should I re-seed?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The power went out this morning at 6:30 and did not come back on until 9:30. The fish seem fine, but I am concerned about my bacteria in my skippies. It is a cloudy morning and temps are around 50 - 55 degrees. Do you think my bacteria survived? or should I re-seed?

Per what I have read it is fine for up to 5 - 6 hours, so you are fine.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You should be fine but if you are really concern you can add some extra bacteria .I keep it on hand just in case .With that temp though all should be good to go .

Reaction score
There is only one way to answer your question...measure ammonia.

temps are around 50 - 55 degrees.
If that's water temp you probably didn't have much bacteria to begin within. Adding more bacteria wouldn't do anything other than feed bad bacteria since conditions aren't good for growth. Number of bacteria isn't the limiting factor.

You only need to be concerned if you have a large fish load and are feeding heavy, which at 50-55F I assume not. And the fish didn't die from a lack of O2 so there's no reason to think bacteria in the Skippy died as long as the media is clean, meaning if you shake it you don't get a cloud of dust. Most likely you could remove the Skippy entirely and still not measure any ammonia, but that's just a guess.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The temp outside was 50-55 this morning. It has been in the high 80's all week, 70's and 80's before that and water temps were at 70 yesterday. This morning I did not check the water temp but it was warmer than outside as there was steam coming off the pond.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
nor would i....if your concern is the aerobic bacteria dying or going anaerobic..3 hours isnt that long and cooler water naturally holds more oxygen ..so thats not likely an issue. water temps are what really matters, not air temps....i believe you'll be just fine.... if you test the water, and get nervous at all, just dont feed for a few days...

Ask a Question