Power Outage issues

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So after two months, I have lost my first fish. We had a heck of a storm over here with about 75 mph wind. I've been without power for about 24 hours. I woke up this morning to my fish at the surface gulping for air, and I immediately got the generator and got the pump and aerators going. Unfortunately it was too late for one of my fish, however after a half hour the rest were perfectly happy. Here's hoping anyone else on the east coast has as minimum impact as I had. I had to syphon gas out of the tractor and the motorcycle to keep the generator running so far, and then I had to wait in traffic for two hours just for ten gallons of gas! Today was a stressful day, but I have enough gas to get me through three days. Here's hoping the generator holds, as the estimate is tuesday for power to return. So what do the rest of you do in preparedness for things like this?

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I have been looking into getting a whole house generator with a automatic transfer switch. It runs on natural gas. The one I have in mind cost 6k but it will be enough for me to run everything in the house with power to spare. Where I live, they are in the process of putting all the utilites underground. 2 years ago when we were signing the lease to our house, they had a tornado go thru town that was only 2 blocks away. We had 4.5 inches of rain in 40 mins that night. After we made it back to town about an hour after the twister, the area that was hit still had power. The homes had entire roofs ripped off but they still had some lights on. It was a mess.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a whole house generator, electrician hubby has not hooked it up yet..................lol We do have a small generator we could use to run our well pump and an aerator for the pond.

But out in our area, rural maryland, our lines run underground. We have had some horrendous snow, winds etc. The worse we have had is an outage of 5 hours due to a car accident wiping out something.

Even with this bad storm on friday that has wiped out millions from power we just had blips. Our power is still on. Not saying we will never lose it, but we are safer than some places.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Our power was out for 5 1/2 hours Friday. We set a 6 hour limit before the 1800watt generator for the ponds gets started. Just got a 6500w for the house. Why should the fish get special treatment?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We roll the big generator out from the garage into the driveway and it runs everything in the house and outside in the pond. Have had times in the past when we lost power for about a week but not so much anymore. We have underground power here in our cul de sac but a couple blocks away it is all on poles. Must remember to have gas ready in cans or in trouble if we can't get outta here to a gas station. Nearest one is out on the highway about 6 miles away.

Ask a Question