Power outage

Reaction score
My power went out. The power company is saying it may not be back on until tomarrow. Will my fish be ok. 3000 gallon 6 koi between 6 and 14 inches and maybe 10 2 inch goldfish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The fish I rescued were in a smaller pond then that, without power for who knows how long and they did ok, around 14 - 8 inches plus. Your biofilter will need to start up again, the bacteria will be dieing off.

Reaction score
Power is back on fish are OK. My Docs Bio filter stayed full of water so it did not dry out at all. Will my bacteria die off even if it stayed submerged in water?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Yes, they need oxygen to survive. If deprived of it for about 3 to 4 hours, they will start to die off. John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your pond will do a little cycling until the bacteria kick back in, i.e. green water etc. If you wish you could pick up some of that bacteria in a bottle, to help get it started back up, I have heard mixed reviews, some like it some don't think it works.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If you do pick up a bottle of the bacteria, make sure to check for the 'best before' date. It is a live culture and as such has a limited shelf life. Steer clear of any 'freeze dried' bacteria. Most of the folks I talk to who have had problems have either used these or gone past the date on the bottle. John
P.S.--How can you freeze dry something that dies off below 50 degrees F.??

Ask a Question