Power outage

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sigh...................electrician hubby decided we needed a generator (did bring a whole house one from AZ, other hubby never hooked up, hook the sucker up comes on auto, gas or propane) new hubby never hooked up, then he has bought 3 other smaller ones, never have started hooked up............

But in the last 10ish years we loss power once, car accident took down the wires.

We do have heat no matter what, propane ventless heater.
I WISH I had it that easy. Even though I live in suburbia, apparently, I live WOODS SUBURBIA, and the worst part is, peeps here are 'more affluent' hence take offense if you 'cut down the trees along the wire line, to the point the elect company doesn't do what should be done for fear of backlash. So, I'd say we lose power 6 times a year, most often for 2 days at a time. I have a portable gasoline gen and use that, plus lots of extension cords. A pain since the tank only holds 8 hours of gas/elect. So, I time it so I fill up before sleeping, get up right away, re-fill, then go to work, have to be done in 8 hours, then fill again. So, a whole house gen is looking a lot better despite the $$.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They bring those big helicopters with those huge rotating blades through about every 3-4 years and cut along the huge power lines. Then constantly see along roads the trucks of others cutting limbs off trees. Our lines are all buried in our neighborhood.
I WISH I had it that easy. Even though I live in suburbia, apparently, I live WOODS SUBURBIA, and the worst part is, peeps here are 'more affluent' hence take offense if you 'cut down the trees along the wire line, to the point the elect company doesn't do what should be done for fear of backlash. So, I'd say we lose power 6 times a year, most often for 2 days at a time. I have a portable gasoline gen and use that, plus lots of extension cords. A pain since the tank only holds 8 hours of gas/elect. So, I time it so I fill up before sleeping, get up right away, re-fill, then go to work, have to be done in 8 hours, then fill again. So, a whole house gen is looking a lot better despite the $$.
A lot of trees have a nice V of branches on one side or the other of the power lines. Or cut short.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They bring those big helicopters with those huge rotating blades through about every 3-4 years and cut along the huge power lines. Then constantly see along roads the trucks of others cutting limbs off trees. Our lines are all buried in our neighborhood.

A lot of trees have a nice V of branches on one side or the other of the power lines. Or cut short.
you need to send your line-clearing helios to Michigan, I'm thinking...I bet THAT would break the budget...maybe we can sell @j.w 's widdle throne to make up the difference? She ain't using it properly anyhow...

:cool: :D :giggle: :oops:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy

:D

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
you need to send your line-clearing helios to Michigan, I'm thinking...I bet THAT would break the budget...maybe we can sell @j.w 's widdle throne to make up the difference? She ain't using it properly anyhow...

:cool: :D :giggle: :oops:
Sit on this Mr Kingy
1644279716846.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hate those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they make such an unusual sound it draws people out and they want to walk right out to the area not having a clue 6 or 8 - 24" blades are heading right for them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
oh wow; @addy1 can we GET ONE OF THESE fer da Castle??? Could park it right next to your kubota...And After Dime gets first ride, then my turn, right?

:D :D :cool:
YOU WANNA DIE? ................ I will watch from the ground!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hate those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they make such an unusual sound it draws people out and they want to walk right out to the area not having a clue 6 or 8 - 24" blades are heading right for them.
We can see them cutting from our house windows way over in another area.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@brokensword Thats when you and i would meet and i would have to be nice to you....... as i am forced to be nice to the general public even if they are endangering them selves and others. I've seen more then ONE individual come out putting them selves where they definately have no idea what they are doing. Just another day at the office.

AEP (100 of 9).jpg
AEP (101 of 9).jpg
AEP (102 of 9).jpg
AEP (103 of 9).jpg
AEP (106 of 9).jpg
AEP (107 of 9).jpg
AEP (108 of 9).jpg
NJ SKY CRANE (100 of 1).jpg
NJ WORK DECK (100 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will watch from the ground!
I'd much rather watch from the chopper . If one of those blades come flying off you don't want to be any where near it . im having gravity

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The sky cranes are the biggest nightmare they really draw attention THEY HAVE A 110 MPH DOWN GUSTS

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
EXACTlY why GPF needs to get one, GB! WE gots eyes to protect against!

:D :cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
YOU WANNA DIE? ................ I will watch from the ground!
When we harnass up the blades, we let GB handle the actual cutting, sheesh; I ain't no fool, Boss! Just think Dime and me could find some usefulness when on patrol around the camp... :D :cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I was off the grid for three weeks when Huricane Michael went through, and had 13 goldies in 300 gallons. I used a cheap solar aerator and fed every three days and they got a natural water change from Mother Nature. They did fine. We have a small portable Honda generator that we could hook up if necessary.

Ask a Question