Power outage

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I also bought a dc pump to run off my solar panel, but haven’t used it. Has anyone else tried one? 2609EB53-9737-47E0-B654-96EE2BD9B65E.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
This will be my first year living in Southwest Florida during hurricane season.. I would like to know how best to prepare for a power outage...My pond is 900 gallons, 30" deep and houses 7 shubunkins....How long would they be able to survive without anyone here? (in case I have to evacuate) I have read that a battery powered aerator would help...If pump is off for a few days would the dying bacteria cause the water to become toxic and kill my fish? Would a water change be called for when I turn the pump back on?
Hi, @rubyduby . I did more Florida hurricane planning research, bought a small solar aerator and have had it running for a week. It is doing just fine, nice flow of bubbles through the two airstones. I'm assuming that a bad storm that took out power for what might be days or a week or two, but that the sun would be out (i.e.not constant rain) and so the solar would have a chance to keep charging and working. Of course, my test has only been a week, no clue about how robust it will be over time, and all that, but ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hi, @rubyduby . I did more Florida hurricane planning research, bought a small solar aerator and have had it running for a week. It is doing just fine, nice flow of bubbles through the two airstones. I'm assuming that a bad storm that took out power for what might be days or a week or two, but that the sun would be out (i.e.not constant rain) and so the solar would have a chance to keep charging and working. Of course, my test has only been a week, no clue about how robust it will be over time, and all that, but ...

Hmmm...Thanks for sending this SarahT...I just purchased an aerator from The Pond Guy but it is powered by electricity....I will purchase a solar powered one in case of hurricane...Please let me know
how yours does over time...

Ask a Question