Pre formed 265g pond in NJ

Reaction score
yes a prefab 60gal spilway. ill feed the waterfall with the uv. which the uv will be feed by the pondmaster pump. I also purchased the tee fitting to do that.

Reaction score
I also filled the bottom section of the filter box with bioballs. is that a good idea to do?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i would pass on the filter / pump setup.. but thats up to you, obviously!! a five gallon bucket or tote would make a better filter...

Reaction score
I'm concerned about the use of salt water tank equipment (meant to be used indoors) as pond equipment. I think you might be headed down a slipperly slope.

Reaction score
Supplies for indoor fish tanks are not really made for outdoor conditions such as extreme heat in summer or the cold of winter. The motors and casings are made differently. Plus, pond fish are monster poopers in comparison to tropicals or saltwater fish...so the filtration is somewhat different.

I think DrDave is right in that you will need to make sure to protect these mechanicals.

Reaction score
I was planning on making something like that for the uv light.

As for the filter I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. I don’t want to get to crazy with this. It’s my first set up, I could always improve my pond. I’m just taking it slow.

Reaction score
Would this be better then the pondmaster 1700?
1- 1-1/2" pvc out to waterfall spillway.
2- 3/4" into 5gal bucket( one will be feed by the uv light the other by the pump.

Ill place the pump in the pond and feed the 2 3/4" lines with it.
How far should I place pvc pipe in to the bucket? (3/4" lines)

Ill also fill it with bioballs and filter mesh.

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yes it would...extend the water inlets to an inch from the bottom and put an elbow on them so the water swirls around ,, and make a rack for your media to sit on... i would use scrubby pads use that with your undewater filter

Reaction score
Ok.
Now my next question is should I keep the pondmaster filter box in my pond and have that as the primary filter or just use the pump without the box filter?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
like i said in my last post...yes use the underwater filter too!! you have it and paid for it so use it... if it starts clogging up frequently take out the foams and go to Lowes or HomeDepot and get a cut to fit furnace filter or two and fill it with them.( blue, i forget the brand name )

Ask a Question