New to ponds and was given a 250 gallon preformed setup

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I was recently given a preformed pond. It has everything needed to get started. A 330-350 gallon per hour pump, medium/large filter, waterfall, waterlines to and from pump. I would estimate the pond right around 250 gallons maybe little less, kind of a kidney shaped.. The area I live in has problems with hard water (calcium and I think lime to). What would be my best starting point.

The one who gave me the pond did have 13 fish in it, but i am not sure if I will go the way of fish right away. I am located in Joshua Tree,

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hard water isnt a problem, I have hard water. I started with a 150 gallon preformed pond and it was a steep learning curve. What yiu have is good enough for a few comets or fancy goldfish if you have good water movement and filtration. The good news is its easy to filter such a small pond and I did mine with nothing but a bag of cleaned lava rock in a 25 gallon return pond and a 750 GPH pump. Especially with a small pond water changes are your friend.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
started with a preformed also and first thing is where do you live because cold will freeze the pond .What kind of fish do you want eventually .Do you have a water test kit .Not sure where joshua tree is .

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
What's the problem with the pond freezing sissy? Even my little 150 didn't freeze solid with a small pump running. I live in Pa.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Joshua tree is in Southern CA near Palm Springs. I was thinking.that I would go with a few koi or goldfish eventually. I don't have a test kit. There is only 2 place that I can think of that may have it. They carry misc pond things so they might have them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can get them on ebay with free shipping .Koi would not work for you as my koi are now 2 feet long after 11 years and would be even bigger if I fed them more .You will need some shade as the water will overheat .Online you can get supplies cheap also with some free shipping

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

No koi -- pond's not big enough and they grow fast. Start off with a few Shubukins. They are pretty and won't get as big.

Most pet stores sell water testing kits, or you can order online. Most of us use API. Testing your water is one of the most basic & fundamental things you need to do.

I just Googled it and 2 pet stores popped up: Pest Plus and Fins & Fangs. I'd think a store with a name like Fins & Fans would carry aquatic supplies.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Being in CA I would be more worried about even HAVING water much less it being hard. Don't worry about the hardness of the water,trying to use additives or adjusters just makes everything a crap shooter with constant water testing. My water is liquid limestone,no issues as long as you do water changes and don't just keep topping off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Smaug and others, Just wanted to mention about hard water in case I had to do something to change it. I would like the Shubukins, but I am afraid that the roadrunners and the local cats would have a field day with them. The person who gave the setup to me got rid of it cause he could not enjoy the fish he had cause the birds kept trying t eat the, and he covered it. After a while he just got tired of I and got rid of it all.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
My aunt gave up on keeping fish in her pond for the same reasons,,,,,,not roadrunners though but great herons. You could keep smaller more easily replaced fish such as rosy reds or mosquito fish. It's harder for predators to catch them and not really worth the time to try. On the upswing for small fish,yiu coukd keep hundreds of them. I once had well over a hundred rosy reds in my 2500 gallon but the channel cate ate them as he grew.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Nets strung out across your pond will stop all but the most preditors many of the members use them @Creativeclover
They wont stop your enjoyment of your fish and after a while you sort of zone them out of your vision .

Dave

Ask a Question