Flexible liner over preformed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can I install a flexible liner over a preformed pond that is already in place? It is not very big and as a single mom, I do not have the time to remove the liner and dig the whole bigger. This preform has a leak that I have not been able to find for 2 years. I"ve tried milk and other things but still cannot find it. If I can install a liner over this, it would be easier for me, but I cannot find any instructions for that. Any input would be helpful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
why not just remove the preform and add the liner and underlayment? no need to re dig the hole. Mu opion this be the better option as the preform may break down even more and puncture your new liner

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! This seems to be the season for leaky ponds.

Can you post some pictures for us? What size and shape is the preform? And have you checked your connections for leaks? Also, sometimes plants can channel water off.

I think you can put a liner over a preform, but you’ll need to create lots of holes in the plastic for drainage. Otherwise, when water gets between the preform and the new liner, the new liner will have a tendency to float up — yes, even if it’s filled with water!

Or, could you just pull the preform out and line the hole that’s already there! You wouldn’t have to dig, and you would already have a nicely compacted hole. Be sure to put an underpayment down first to protect the liner.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
why not just remove the preform and add the liner and underlayment? no need to re dig the hole. Mu opion this be the better option as the preform may break down even more and puncture your new liner
I was thinking this, as well. Would already have a nice hole there, just waiting.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-5-1_10-26-7.gif
@french2s If it was me I would just rip out the plastic preform, lay the liner in. No worry then about liner floating up w/rain in between the two.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Because it is not worth my time to remove rocks and dig it out, put in sand, etc. Its hold maybe 25 gallons of water. It is 3ft by 5ft.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! This seems to be the season for leaky ponds.

Can you post some pictures for us? What size and shape is the preform? And have you checked your connections for leaks? Also, sometimes plants can channel water off.

I think you can put a liner over a preform, but you’ll need to create lots of holes in the plastic for drainage. Otherwise, when water gets between the preform and the new liner, the new liner will have a tendency to float up — yes, even if it’s filled with water!

Or, could you just pull the preform out and line the hole that’s already there! You wouldn’t have to dig, and you would already have a nicely compacted hole. Be sure to put an underpayment down first to protect the liner.

I cannot justify the time or myself (there is no one else) to move the rocks, dig up a 3'x5' preformed liner that holds maybe 25 gallons of water, at best.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you leave the water alone and let it sit there check to see how far it will go down before it stops and that would be where the leak is at. When that happens check all around the line of water level for leak.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I cannot justify the time or myself (there is no one else) to move the rocks, dig up a 3'x5' preformed liner that holds maybe 25 gallons of water, at best.
Oh, you didn’t mention that you wanted to put the liner on top of some rocks! How deep is it? A 5’x3’ pond seems like it would hold more than 25 gallons.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are no rocks to put the liner on. It is a SMALL preformed pond. It does not hold alot, trust me. It is in a small area that is in front of my front porch. This is a kidney shaped liner. There are no rocks in it, no plants. I would have to remove the rocks around the pond to put the liner in. This is a smooth small kidney shaped liner.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If were to stick my arm in this, it is about as deep as between my elbow and shoulder. This is kind of what it is shaped like.
ca2fdbf6f1479f09bf21b1bc49a4761b (1).jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@french2s Sorry, I misunderstood. When you said “move the rocks,” I thought you were saying that there were rocks that would have to be moved, and I saw those in your picture. You’re still going to have to move those rocks, though, when you put a new liner in.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you have any sort of pump or fountain going? These are often common spots for leaks to happen.

You know, you mentioned not having the time to do any of the work, and you also mentioned having to pour sand, and not being able to dig up the preform, etc. It sounds like you might be over thinking the difficulty of the work involved.

You’re going to have to move those rocks no matter what route you take. Once the pond is drained, there really shouldn’t be anything for you to have to “dig up” with regards to the preform. It might resist a little bit, depending on how long it’s been in place — but it should come out of its hole without too much effort. And you wouldn’t have to put sand in the hole at all — a protective underlayment to go under the liner is all you’ll need — and you need that anyway, when you use a liner.

Just MHO. It’s not that much work if you really want to use a liner, but it will pay in the long run to do it right the first time.

Ask a Question