Prefilter external pump. Urgent advice for a novice!

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have just finished building my 4000 gal plus waterfall concrete pond. I installed a center bottom drain, two surface skimmers, four jets and a bottom aerator set up. It's an in ground pond and since I plan to build an above ground multichamber filter system, I need to find a an external pump that can be placed before the filter system without getting clogged. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Such a pump doesn't exist for ponds. Even pumps with grinders on them (sewage type pumps) will clog if there's a lot of string algae.

The best option is a sieve filter before the pump. But it still needs to be cleaned.

Next option, and very standard, is a priming pot which has a skimmer type basket inside. The reason this is standard is because a priming pot is often needed to prime the pump to get it started. Rarely (almost impossible) is the water level in a pond at the perfect level to prime a pump correctly without the pot. So even with a sieve a priming pot is often used.

However, piping a BD to a priming pot can mean cleaning that basket 10 times a day if there's string algae or leaves. Not fun which is why most people gravity fed the BD to a filter (sieve, settling chamber, whatever), pump pulls water from that up to other filters or whatever.

Ask a Question