Advice on the mechanics of [water flow] and plumbing exteral prefilter to a Skippy

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Now, for those of us who are mechanically challenged........ Of course, I know that water follows the rules of gravity. And I know that [from what I see], some water flow systems will flow via gravity, while others require a pump to overcome said gravity.

I have a Skippy filter. I have never liked it's "mechanical" filtration, though it has done great with the bio aspect. I have particulate matter in the water column -- it might not bother some people, but it bothers me. I have a submerged pump. I do not have a BD.

I have tried various DIY, in-pond prefilters, that do "OK," but as soon as I move it or take it out to clean, I get a release of all the collected crud BACK into the water column.

Is it possible to put some kind of external prefilter [like a SC or an S&G filter] BEFORE a Skippy? Again, I'm clueless when it comes to the mechanics of all this. So I have no idea -- would water from an S&G gravity-flow into a Skippy or would it require a pump?

Most of the [external] filter builds I see are geared toward BD's and/or external filters.

I don't want to re-do what I have now with the Skippy, as I'll be converted to a total bog system by this time next year -- just want to get the solids out better.

I'm at the early stages of even thinking about this, so I don't have any plans or ideas for how I would do this. I'm just curious if it would work......period! I just want cleaner water since this might be what's contributing to my fish deaths.......
image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Your suspended crud may be saving you from an algae bloom, TM.
Have you had a close look at it to see what it consists of?
Is it tea coloured? Humic substances from incomplete organic decomposition.
Is it green? Suspended algae.
Any bubbles on the surface from DOC's?
Finer mechanical filtration will always remove suspended particulate matter, but then you will need to constantly clean and possible replace the filter media.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
On one of my ponds I pump into a S&G from there I gravity flow into a 100 skippy,
And the skippy then gravity flows back to the pond ,

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your suspended crud may be saving you from an algae bloom, TM.
Have you had a close look at it to see what it consists of?
Is it tea coloured? Humic substances from incomplete organic decomposition.
Is it green? Suspended algae.
Grayish green. It covers everything from plants to tubing. Moving anthing will stir it up. But, if I capture a water sample, the sample appears clear.

When I scoop stuff off the bottom, it's dark, dark green, almost black with some decomposing material mixed in.

No bubbles, nothing that looks like DOC's.

With the plumbing properly sized, gravity flow from the mechanical filter to the skippy is all that is required.
Can you draw a diagram for me? And define what you mean by "properly sized." I have 1-1/2" tubing from pump to Skippy now.
On one of my ponds I pump into a S&G from there I gravity flow into a 100 skippy,
And the skippy then gravity flows back to the pond ,
How do you have that plumbed? I couldn't find any info regarding S&G's going into a Skippy as a reference.

I took a look at the Skippy a couple days after I did a good flush. And when I flush, I rinse from the top to force anything to go out the bottom flush-drain. There is usally a bunch of fine crud that has settled on the media.

After 2 days of a flush, there is more crud. Just took some pictures, so will post those in a minute, once they're moved over.

The first layer in my Skippy is green Matala. Then I have baskets containing the biomedia. I wanted to add another layer of the blue, but that looked like it was going to be too thick, but now I might rethink that and even go with 3 layers from green (med) to gray (finest). But if I did that for mechanical filtration, it would also have to be the bio because there wouldn't be any room left for me odds&ends bio media.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Could it be diatoms, TM?
You have posted diatoms in your previous microscope pictures.
Can you post a picture of your pond and what discolouration you are seeing?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Can you draw a diagram for me? And define what you mean by "properly sized." I have 1-1/2" tubing from pump to Skippy now.

I probably didn't state that as clearly as I should have. The outlet for the mechanical filter must be large enough to gravity feed the volume of water that is being pump-fed into the mechanical filter. The required size of this outlet will depend on the gph and plumbing size (1-1/2") at the inlet.

As to your TDS (Total Suspended Solids), do you presently have any mechanical filtration between pump and 'bog'?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is a picture of the crud [that doesn't act like algae] that has collected on the side and on an elecrical wire. The 2nd row is after I put my hand in the water [and of course, the fish thought it was time to eat!]

image.jpg

These are some shots ot the filter media in the Skippy, several days after a clean & flush.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It looks to me like a combination of algae and diatoms.
That means you need to increase your filtration.
Not a big deal, but something you should pay some attention to.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought diatoms were a type of algae....... Are these dead guys in the pics? The fish don't seem interested in eating it/them. Also, when I was treating my milkweed plants a few weeks ago, I was using DE [but those are dead diatoms....]. I couldn't find any mention that this would be harmful to the pond inhabitants, so I wasn't 100% careful if any of the powder got into the water [though, was having to relocate silly turtles so they wouldn't inhale the powder or get it into their eyes...].

And yes, still see lots of, I guess, living diatoms when I look under the scope, so they ARE there.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
image-jpg.86379

The green 'lint-like' substance is periphyton that has trapped some suspended solids. Perfectly normal.

image-jpg.86380

Fuzzy green substance covering filter media....again periphyton with trapped suspended solids. No problem here either.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Diatoms are strictly planktonic and are only found in waters with sufficient silica.
So.......how would they get into my lowly little pond? Is it a good thing or a bad thing? And if it's bad, what do I do about it? Or does everyone have this? When I think "Plankton," I think marine mammals, but there are fresh-water plankton as well.

The only thing I've done different, lately, was add "koi clay," but that's clay, not silica........

Gee, just when you thought you were starting to understand........ LOL, I do enjoy learning new things, just why do things have to all run together -- then it starts to get CON-FUS-ING :barefoot:

Ask a Question