Preformed Ponds

Reaction score
Has anyone used one of those plastic preformed ponds? They are usually small and have differing heights.

Do you think they would be easier or more difficult to use than a pond liner?

Reaction score
I didn't use a pre-formed one because we have so many rocks in our yard. My husband was able to just put in the flexible liner around the boulders he couldn't get out.

Reaction score
I'm using a plastic formed pond and it's okay. The only fall-back is that it's hard to dig the proper shape and depth of the P-F pond. However, it's very useful to have it as a containment pond or a pond for smaller koi/goldfish.

Reaction score
Preformed ponds are great, and cheaper if you want a smaller pond. But if you want koi then I would def. get a liner or other type of pond. I found that out after reading more and more. Unless you get a 1200 gallon or more preformed pond that is 4 feet or so deep. Small koi do ok until the get 12 or so inches then the shallow and small ponds won't do.

Reaction score
Preformed ponds have their uses IE if you can't dig very far down or want something very small. Many people get started with preformed ponds and add on to them later. Getting a performed pond level can be a real pain. Don't put koi in anything preformed or not if it's under 500 gallons, they won't be happy or grow well and may even jump out of shallow ponds. Liners allow for more creativity and are easier to install. Let me know if I can answer any more questions, Gail

Ask a Question