Pressure filter from Tetra- Are they really effective and worth the money?

Reaction score
I have a 3200 gallon pond exposed to sunshine. Typical Aquascape type with water falls and a skimmer. No bottom drain unfortunately. I have no filtration system currently and obiously water is pretty dark. I have algaes in the summer. I was thinking of installing a U/V filter and a DIY bio filter but I am not a good handyman!
Can somebody give me advice on efficiency of combined bio and U/V filters (Pressurized filter). Tetra sells the BP4000-UV ; Laguna has the PT-1506 and Aquascape hasAltraklean 3500.
Has anybody used it and feel it is worth the cost (not cheap!).

Pond data:
Water falls; main area 14 feet diam, Depth is 40 inches, exposure to sun all day (south orientation); fish 10 KOIs of 10 inches each, 30 small red fish.

Thanks for your advice

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
most folks here will advise against pressure filters...DIY filters arent complicated to build,they are just as, if not more efficient. and are a whole lot cheaper.
** the only benefit to a pressure filter is you can put them anywhere you like and bury them if desired.about 2/3 of the way.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Look through the forum, the DYI section and the pond equipment threads. These filters have been discussed in several threads along with modifications that can be done. personally, I don't like them and don't use them, they clog quickly, and to small to be real efficient.

Reaction score
amerali said:
I have a 3200 gallon pond exposed to sunshine. Typical Aquascape type with water falls and a skimmer. No bottom drain unfortunately. I have no filtration system currently and obiously water is pretty dark. I have algaes in the summer. I was thinking of installing a U/V filter and a DIY bio filter but I am not a good handyman!
Can somebody give me advice on efficiency of combined bio and U/V filters (Pressurized filter). Tetra sells the BP4000-UV ; Laguna has the PT-1506 and Aquascape hasAltraklean 3500.
Has anybody used it and feel it is worth the cost (not cheap!).

Pond data:
Water falls; main area 14 feet diam, Depth is 40 inches, exposure to sun all day (south orientation); fish 10 KOIs of 10 inches each, 30 small red fish.

Thanks for your advice

I use a Laguna 500 watt UV and use a pressure filter to prefilter it, this works great but would not be enough for my 2500 gallon pond without the two 55 gal barrel filters filled to the max with Matala. I have tried gravity feeding the UV but it doesn't flow properly without pressure.

Reaction score
Pondmaster said:
I use a Laguna 500 watt UV and use a pressure filter to prefilter it, this works great but would not be enough for my 2500 gallon pond without the two 55 gal barrel filters filled to the max with Matala. I have tried gravity feeding the UV but it doesn't flow properly without pressure.

I meant to say 55 watt Laguna. Sorry, it's been a long day.

Reaction score
I have a pondmaster piece in mine. It is the oldest piece I have!!! On to the question. I do have a pressurized filter on mine, with a uv light. Unfortunately, there is no way for me to really hide a diy filter set up. Also, with mine being in a front yard(with a lot of looks) anything I can hide is worth it. I have had it for 1 year, and only cleaned the filters once. The pressurized back flow cleaning really doesn't work, but that's ok. I have 3 pumps in my pond, all of them have some large filter other than the "built in" filter, which I removed. Even the pondmasters prefilter has been upgraded and changed.

Ask a Question