Propagating floating heart?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
I have a freshly bought floating heart, it seems to spit out new roots (see pics), any chance I could cut off that offshoot and propagate it?

Floating Heart.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, but be careful what you ask for :) that plant is highly invasive if it actually is Nymphoides peltata. I call it the 'Kudzu' of the aquatic world.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
that plant is highly invasive if it actually is Nymphoides peltata. I call it the 'Kudzu' of the aquatic world.
It's alright, I am not afraid of invasive plants, unless they start attacking me from behind and strangling me... :eek:
I am reasoning that if the plant is in pots, it should be manageable.

I still have room for more plants. Couple years ago I had some plant that grew like crazy (hornwort?) but then it died after transferring everything to a kiddie pool to prepare for remodeling the pond.

Pond_May_2024.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@DerSchoeneBahnhof The general rule is that…..the more invasive the plant….the easier it is to propagate. I don’t think you will have any trouble making more little plants. (Keep in mind though, that most of us have had experience with invasive plants in the pond. But…everyone has different results, so…..)

Ask a Question