Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0363.JPG

Is what I'm looking for pictured in the first image? Just cut it and weight it down in some gravel with a rock?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I plant mine in kitty litter in a oil pan. Keep the growing tip above the gravel litter whatever you use.
Sometimes I put a rock on it until the lily anchors itself.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also point the growing tip towards the center on the container. They like wide containers. Wal-Mart oil pans work great.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When you cut it off leave some of the tuber.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Would Tiddy Cat be a good choice, haha, J/K. I have oil absorbent and checked MSDS and has no know ecological effects. Usage on package states kitty liter and potting soil additive. Wikipedia says clay based oil absorbent is same as clay based kitty litter. I checked msds just to make sure no additives.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Also point the growing tip towards the center on the container. They like wide containers. Wal-Mart oil pans work great.
addy1 - I have some of mine in great big round lotus pots (only one lotus seed made it) - BUT I read somewhere (must not have been on here) - that lilies like to be crowded so I was going to re-pot them in smaller square lily pots. Do you think that is unnecessary/unwise? I also read that the point should go right up against the edge of the pot. Thanks.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is per one of the many web sites that tell how to grow a lily. I keep mine in shallow pots, if the growing tip is against the edge, they tend to grow up and out of the pot. Pointed in towards the center of the pot they grow in the pot.

Use a container that is wide and shallow.
A good size is 12 x 18 inches wide by 6 x 10 inches deep. The tuber, which is similar to the rhizome of an iris, grows horizontally. Containers may or may not have holes. If there are drainage holes, line the pot with burlap to keep the soil in the container. Soil that leaches out can cloud the water in your pond

Remove old leaves and thick,
fleshy old roots. Leave only emerging leaves and buds and the newer, hairlike roots

Plant the tuber against the side of the pot, with the growing tip pointing upward -- about 45 degrees -- and toward the center of the pot

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Am I doing something incorrect? Tested pH, 7.5 to 8.0 (can't tell difference in color). At first had it in the pond but moved to the container. Is the water too deep? Has been in the kitty litter. Am I just expecting it to grow too fast?

Those are little nubs of growing tips. It may take a bit for it to show significant growth. Not sure how deep you had it, but you could keep them shallower to see if it helps.

When I pot up new lilies, I will usually drop a couple slow release fertilizer tablets around it in the planting medium to help get it going.

Ask a Question