Propagating papyrus

Dave Cee

High-school Sweethearts
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am currently growing three papyrus plants from cuttings stolen from an auto repair parking lot where the mother plant has been growing terrestrially for at least 25 years.
Question: can these particular plants be grown in the pond entirely without soil? I would like to transfer the rooted cuttings to my pond in pebble-filled plastic baskets with no soil, sand or kitty litter at all.
1616264036995.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
should be fine; keep the crown above water, just in case. My dwarf Egyptian papyrus is tropical so I over winter it in the basement. You may have to do the same if you get freezing temps. The papyrus should get enough nutrients from the pond water, but watch the foliage for yellowing, just in case--you might have to insert a pond fert tab to help them out.

If they were mine, I'd use unscented kitty litter as I think the plants will grow better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I placed papyrus plants that came in a basket what i think they called a gallon. washed off all the soil and placed about 8 of them on a aquablock a little stone around them to hold them up until the roots grabbed the block, and grab they did they completely filled the block Theres a pic of it in my bog below somewhere around page 30+-i would think

Dave Cee

High-school Sweethearts
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you. I am still rooting the cuttings but my kitchen windowsill didn't get enough light...so I transferred them to a pebble-filled terra cotta bowl in the water garden until they are big enough to go into the plastic pots. This also solves the problem of how to keep them watered when I go out of state next month. They now receive a constant flow of water from the pad filter and their water level is constant.
20210320_1911507fcbcccc0ab7c835.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
should be fine; keep the crown above water, just in case. My dwarf Egyptian papyrus is tropical so I over winter it in the basement. You may have to do the same if you get freezing temps. The papyrus should get enough nutrients from the pond water, but watch the foliage for yellowing, just in case--you might have to insert a pond fert tab to help them out.

If they were mine, I'd use unscented kitty litter as I think the plants will grow better.

what does the kitty litter do? provide support?
We used some of that (still have it too) for some of our plants, but our koi still tore it apart... they really are messy :)
Could these be OK for a shallow region or stream? or do they need deeper water?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
what does the kitty litter do? provide support?
We used some of that (still have it too) for some of our plants, but our koi still tore it apart... they really are messy :)
Could these be OK for a shallow region or stream? or do they need deeper water?
Pretty much, for support. Helps anchor the plants and their roots.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Question: can these particular plants be grown in the pond entirely without soil?
High school sweethearts? That's so cool! Way to go. Yes, to answer your question. I only use gravel, rocks or whatever is available to stabilize it in the pond basket. The roots will grow out of the basket very quickly. No worries, just trim 'em back.

Ask a Question