PT Wood Perimeter?

Reaction score
Today I start my pond rebuild. I plan on putting a shelf that will be about 8" below the water level and about 12" wide to set the border rocks on to help hide the top of the liner. Since I live in very sandy soil conditions, I am going to have to build some sort of perimeter to do this and was thinking of using 2" x 12" pressure treated wood. This would be under the liner so I it shouldn't effect the fish at all, but any concerns about this rotting?

I'll try to remember to take and post some pics as this thing progresses.

Reaction score
Go back and search out the forums for what we think of plant ledges. You are just giving a good standing spot for a predator to step on and fish from your pond. Avoid ledges at all costs and make your pond walls as steep as possible, You can always raise a plant in a pot on a few bricks in your pond.

Reaction score
After I put the rocks on the ledge it won't really be a ledge anymore. I just wanted to use it as a spot to place some rocks over the liner so I could bring the water level up over the sides of the rocks to hide the liner. It won't create a "ledge" and the depth will still be 4' from the top of the rocks to the bottom of the pond.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i understand what your talking about,thats the way i did mine...but i didnt make it any certain depth, it varies from 4" to 10" but i'm in clay soil so it stable.. i used round stone . is your pond gonna be squared off or rounded? are you useng rounded or flat stone?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Too bad they don't sell it in stores. It would be nice to check it out and select the color by looking at it.

Reaction score
The pond will be rectangle for the most part, maybe a little rounded on each end, but basically rectangle. The stones I will be using are not flat. They are various shapes/sizes. It's actually Coquina rock that I'm using which is made from small seashells out of the ocean.

Ask a Question