Pump and vortex issues SOS

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,
I am nearing the end of my construction & have hit yet another snag. I am hopping some one has some experience here and can tell me what is happening.

My pond is an awkward shape but best guess is around 16 000 gallons, 4 1/2 feet at the deepest point. It is *supposed* to run with 2 Teton ecostream 8000 pumps. One will connect to a settlement tank/bottom drain, and return to a water fall. The second is to connect to a savio skimmer and return to two bogs and one return jet.

I filled my pond up to almost full to push liner into all the right places, and to measure level to set the skimmer. (as per skimmer instructions). Now I need to bring the pond level down to finish skimmer. ( the pump for this is not connected yet, as skimmer is not completely installed or plumbed) I have a back wash system on my water fall filter, so I figured that this would take care of two things, one, test my plumbing on that circuit for leaks, and two, drop water level.

I am having an issue with getting the pump to prime. Supply lines full, priming pot full, but not sucking properly. I did manage to get it so that there was enough draw that it brought down the level of water in the settlement tank, but obviously not enough, as when I open the valve to the bottom drain, the water drains back into the pond, dropping the level in the settlement tank low enough that it is under the pipe going to the pump. Of course, then the whole process has to stop and start over. Instead of lowering the pond, I am effectively filling up settlement tank over and over and then draining it back into pond.

I am really at a puzzle here, so if anyone has had experience with a situation like this, I would love any advice you could offer. Thanks!!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Sounds like the settlement tank is set above the pond water level, if I am understanding you right. The settlement tank should be set, so the final water level of the pond is above the intake pipe to the pump, which will eliminate the tank draining back into the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
BACK FLOW PREVENTER!!!!!!!! put a back flow preventer on the supply line before the pump and after the settlement tank

If you open the pump basket add water filler up turn on the pump it will suck some of the air out of the line.
repeat until the pump is up and running.

Ask a Question