Pump Issues

Reaction score
Guys

I have recently aquired a property which came with a garden pond approximately 3m long by 2m wide by around 750mm deep which contain 4 decent sized Koi.

There is a small fountain in the middle of the pond from which a hose feeds a Oase 6000 filter as well as producing the fountain effect.

From the filter is a hose which leads onto a waterfall back into the pond.

I am keen to move the filter into a garden shed and out of the site of those with sticky fingers but now i have attached a longer hose from the fountain the volume of water into the filter and consequently back out of the filter and down the waterfall has dropped dramaticly.

I am asuming the problems is a result of the now longer feed hose which comes from the fountain in the middle of the pond not producing enough water up to the filter.

Any suggestions on how i solve this? Do i need a stand alone pump to get the water up to the filter and by pass the fountain? If i do need a separate filter any suggestions on a make/model/size?

Thanks in advance

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum !!
Add 2 valves one to the filter the other to the fountain and make it do what you want

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome to GPF, As Dr.Case has said, adding valvels would probably be the cheapest easiest fix if it was working fine before the longer hose was added. the same water amount should still be being pumped but the longer hose made more water go in the opposite direction.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome, glad you joined!

flowerwelcomeWHT.gif

Reaction score
Thank you all guys for the advice.

Particularly like the word cheap in response to a problem

I am really gonna have to play my stupid card here and say 'valves'???

Any further advice on where i get these from or how they should be fitted?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOL is ok............valves, they have them at home depot, lowes. A pvc valve that is called a ball valve. You can turn the handle and cut flow to one place while leaving the other open. or tweak both down to balance the flow between the two places. They are made of the size of pvc you are using.

I notice you say hoses, you can get the hose type valve, has a little tab you use to slow the flow, attach to the end of the hose.
http://www.homedepot.com/undefined-...ation?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
ballvalves can be used on hoses as well...you'll find them threaded also, and hose nipples. or caps with threaded inputs for hose nipples. .. you may have to visit the sprinkler section.

Ask a Question