Pump losing prime

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ok, so I spoke with the dealer. They were befuddled, but offered to RMA the pump. They did, however, say it was fine to open the pump up. So I did, and it turns out the impeller was totally packed with pine needles and such. Neither the skimmer basket nor the leaf basket in the priming pot had caught them. I cleaned it out and started the pump back up, flow is much improved. I guess this was the original problem, I may have then also got some grit in the o-ring opening and closing the priming pot.

For now I put a filter sock on the skimmer basket, leftover from when this was a pool, but I'm sure it's going to be too fine for the pump. What do people use to keep this sort of thing out of their pumps? Maybe line it with filter mat?

Reaction score
Gotta love a simple fix. It is interesting that the needles got thru the basket. Was there a time when you ran it without the basket?

Keep a close eye on it when the filter sock is in play....I fear it could quickly clog with fine items and begin to restrict the flow. I have no experience myself and it is just the way my assumptions work. Maybe someone can confirm/deny it.

Regardless, I am sure you are happy and relieved. If not, I am for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Thats good to hear the the problem has been discovered. I can't help with keeping junk out of the pump. I have two 3000 gph pumps in the skimmer

Ask a Question