Pump plumbing redone

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I had been unhappy with the amount of water flowing down my falls this year. Last year there seemed to be a lot more water flowing down and I was using a bigger pump this year. Last year the pump would only take 1" ID hose with a hose barb but I used 1 1/4" hose and slipped it on the threaded outlet. Well I did some checking about my new pump (Tetra 3600 high flow magna drive) and figured out that I could use 1 1/2" PVC pipe. Finally got it done today. Will post pics later on how it turned out. I also took the time to fill in some gaps with waterfall foam since I had the pumps off.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
As I said earlier...here are some pictures..Sorry they are so big.

This is coming out from the top of the pump and thru the skimmer box. I did all of the pipe in 1 1/2" PVC
IMG_2752.jpg

I tried to use as many long sweep 90s as I could, but there were 2 places I didn't have room
IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_2757.jpg

This is looking from my skimmer box up towards the filter. Its not flat ground so it was a bit of a challange to get the pipe to lay the way I wanted it to
IMG_2754.jpg

This is coming into the top of the skippy filter
IMG_2756.jpg

I even added a venturi. Works great and it was easy to make
IMG_2755.jpg

And this is what I used to get my pipe to bend. When I was a electrician, we used a thing called a hot box to heat up our pvc to make bends in it. I just heated up the pipe on my grill, ran over and formed it how I wanted it, let it cool and moved on to the next section. I used one 10' piece of pipe after getting out of the skimmer box area up to the filter.
IMG_2760.jpg

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Yes grill was on high and I had the lid closed turning the pipe constantly.

WB...sand would take too long to heat up. The only time we used sand when bend pvc was on 4" and bigger. I did commercial electrical work. Mostly new construction and mainly schools.

I still have to paint the pipe and then hide it. Took about 2 hrs to do all the pipe.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Explain your venturi, looks like a cap with a straw sticking out of it! What steps did you take to do that?

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
It's a regular plumbing wye with the water flowing thru the straight part. I cut a small piece of pipe to glue the cap on. I used a straw from a cup we got from the hospital. I drilled a 3/8 hole in the cap just big enough to put the straw in. I stuck the straw in so it was half way in the straight part so that as the water flows thru the pipe, it will suck air in and aereate the water as it enters the bottom of the filter. The good bacteria will then have oxygenated water to feast on along with the plants in my skippy.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well that is really neat! Quick and easy. Fantastic job.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Adding a check valve should be easy enough to do. Put it right before your last 90 degree that goes up and over your filter. I used a sump pump check valve for my bog.

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
You do know there is flexible pvc pipe for ponds?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The venturi should break the back siphoning effect out of the filter

Ask a Question