Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi I have just moved into a house that has a pond and obviously fish . I am new to this and I have fallen in love with it/them . My problem is I have found i have a jeboa cf-20 and the pump has stopped working . I have cleaned it with no effect .
Can anyone tell me what size pump I need to get and is it ok not to have it on ie will it harm the fish
Thank you for any advise

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi TerryRM1-
Your Jeboa cf-20 is your filter? Is the problem with the filter or the pump? Your pump should be located in the pond. There should be a label on the pump that gives liters per hour.
Can you give us some info on your pond- liters, fish type and how many?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the reply but I have no idea of litres in the pond and there are no markings on the pump

Attachments

• 20201022_082156.jpg
    20201022_082156.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 20201022_082200.jpg
    20201022_082200.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 69
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi TerryRM1-
Your Jeboa cf-20 is your filter? Is the problem with the filter or the pump? Your pump should be located in the pond. There should be a label on the pump that gives liters per hour.
Can you give us some info on your pond- liters, fish type and how many?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can roughly calculate the gallons (or liters) if you measure the length, width and approximate depth. There are online pond calculators where you can just plug that information in for an approximate answer. Once you know that, you know you need a pump that will turn that volume over 1.5 to 2 times per hour.

Is this a goldfish pond? If so, they'll be fine without the pump while you get it replaced. Bigger koi are more dependent on keeping the filtration going in a pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can roughly calculate the gallons (or liters) if you measure the length, width and approximate depth. There are online pond calculators where you can just plug that information in for an approximate answer. Once you know that, you know you need a pump that will turn that volume over 1.5 to 2 times per hour.

Is this a goldfish pond? If so, they'll be fine without the pump while you get it replaced. Bigger koi are more dependent on keeping the filtration going in a pond.
There are two larger fish in the pond but mostly the small gold fish . Thanks for the advice I will measure it up . Once I get into it I will get a couple of large fish .
Once again thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@TerryRM1 - hold off on those large fish until you calculate your pond volume. Koi get very big very fast and require a large volume of water - while there's no real formula, most will suggest you have 1000 gallons for the first koi. Ponds that are under the several thousand gallon mark are better suited for goldfish varieties.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just measured the pond which has a waterfall feature I forgot to mention

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201023-122730_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201023-122730_Chrome.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 62

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Just measured the pond which has a waterfall feature I forgot to mention
Welcome!

That is a good sized pond! You would need a pump of around 4,000 gallons per hour, and of course, more is better.

I would recommend aqua scape, as they provide high tech high quality pumps, and always have great customer service :)

Ask a Question