Pumps pumps pumps failing all thentime

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have moved into a new property well new to us. Main selling point of the house, was I wrong.

The description is as follows,

it has a slope in it and seven koi carps large ones and three small ones. They are great no problems there. Now it has a pair of black plastic bins that have a filtration system of black parts and bits of pipes all plastic (like bits of drainage tubes and such like) this works perfectly.
Now here’s the problem when we took over the property it had a drainage pump the type from Toolstation for draining things like pools and such like I am now on pump number four in one year granted they are under warranty and they have been returned and replaced every time. But it is a bit of a pain in the ass now.

can someone recommend a pump that can handle this size of pump and continuous use mainly in the day time I have it on a timer for night time and it switches off. I rent the house and the landlord is reluctant to buy another pump or a better one but I am so fed up with it so I am just going to buy my own and when and if we leave then I will sell it on eBay or marketplace or just keep the bloody thing and he can have his bobbins pumps back.
Thanks in advance

any recommendations would help and please try to keep the price down cheers all and stay safe

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
ohhh, yes definitely. If you are okay with spending a bit of money, aquscape aquscape aquascape. They make tons of pond pumps, and also have a full series of drainage pumps, anywhere from pretty tiny to very large.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Drainage pumps are not designed to run 24/7. They are used to do a task and then be put away. You need a pond pump that is designed to be run 24/7- 365. BTW- running your filter only at night is not providing good filtration, it needs to run all the time. The bacteria starts to die off if there is no circulation.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1600812793315.gif
@Dodgy99uk

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with running the pump continuously. I had several pumps that kept failing after less than a year. I finally had an electrician look at the outlet and he said it was wired wrong in a way that was causing pumps to fail. So it could be an outlet problem for you too. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome, and you might find you like ponds so much you decide to keep it for your next one! Yes, look online for a good pond store. You’ll need the volume of water in the ponds, and then look for a pump that does 1.5 times more per hour. So if it’s a 100 gallon pond, you’d want a 150gph pump, or even a 200 gph. If I’m reading this right, your in Europe, so probably in liters, but you get the idea. This is to keep the water clean, fish waste removed, healthy bacteria going in the filter, which break down fish waste to less toxic forms, etc. Please, read through the threads on here, learn how to care for the pond, and what to do if problems arise.

Ask a Question