Question about a raised pond.

Reaction score
I was really thinking about going with a much bigger pond here next year. The problem is that most of my back yard is leech field...the previous owner of the house had to add a new leech field because the original one failed. So anywhere in the yard that I can dig, I end up hitting leech field pipes and gravel. If I went above ground, does water freeze solid in zone 5 during the winter? I know my inground pool freezes, but to what depth I am not sure, it is actually raised by about 2 feet. I would love to have a larger pond 1500 gallons or so but I'm so afraid that the poor fish would freeze to death. TIA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Many people in colder climates have raised ponds. They use a floating heater to keep a whole in the ice. They also cover the pond in the winter by making a frame and put 6 mil plastic over it.
You would need a footer if using block and that may go into the leach bed. Do you know where the old leech bed is? Maybe you could dig there.

PS3

Reaction score
my pond is rised but it does go under the ground about 2 feet or so.
i live in ny and we get cold winters i have a deicer that keeps a hole for gas
and i have an air pump with air stones to give the fish some air.
here is a pic

Attachments

• new fish pics 011.jpg
    new fish pics 011.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 311
Reaction score
Rats! The whole back yard is nothing but leech field. The old one has regenerated and still works so I guess I am out of luck...unless I can convince the family it's time to move!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn, dig as deep as you can, raise the rest, use a heater in the winter and enjoy your new pond.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
mine is raised made from sleepers ...it was dug about a foot down ..but i have seen some with just the sleepers i would do a search on google i have seen lots on there .. and you can get realy thick underlay thats made for above ground ponds plus a heater as Dodad said oh and ive got to ask what is a leech field ??

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
stroppy said:
oh and ive got to ask what is a leech field ??

For those of us with septic tanks, (we are not on public sewer) it is where the tank waste goes after it has broken down in the septic tank. It is drain pipes laid in beds of gravel. Very important not to damage your leech field, or you will have stinky water rising out of the ground.

We found our tank, line going to leech field and approximate area of the leech field doing this pond digging. Luckily did not damage anything.

Reaction score
There is only a 12 foot wide strip running the length of the house that is leech field free!
Most of that is taken up by a fire pit and BBQ set up and out door furniture. May be I should just go ahead with the threat of turning the inground pool into a lovely koi resort, in doing that I don;t have to worry about the leech field! I could go above ground, digging in the area of the "field" that is not being used to a depth of 12 - 18". Still have to dream and whine about it for a spell. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DLWyman said:
May be I should just go ahead with the threat of turning the inground pool into a lovely koi resort, in doing that I don;t have to worry about the leech field!

Well if don't use the pool anymore, I sure would!

Reaction score
The pool still gets used but not often, this year I have been in it twice, my 16 yr old son has been in it 4 times. It costs a bundle for chemicals and electricity to run it. The neighbors recently filled in their inground pool, she didn't want to maintain it. Ready for this one...DH like "to look at it" ... yeah right! He has rubber duckies in iat, I swear he is loosing it!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a pool at the very first house I bought, after that swore I would never have another, but previous hubby in arizona wanted one, so when we moved from our pool less home bought one with a pool. Did manage to use it a lot while in that house, but still would not put in another one, would rather have a pond big enough and clean enough to take a dip in.
Still paying for the maintenance of that pool waiting until I can sale that house.

Ask a Question