Question about growing lotus in pots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I didn't even know the lotus represented buddhism... and I was raised in a buddhist family my whole life! So anyway, now I'm very interested and have some questions. I did some research and it stated that they are best grown in pots to control their invasiveness and to overwinter. So how exactly do you place the pot in the pond? Won't it move around and float around if you just simply put it in the pond? Is there a stabilizer? And is overwintering really necessary if the pond won't freeze? I'm in zone 7 and yes water does freeze but I'll use a heater or something. Last question. How many flowers can I expect in one pot?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
A few inches of dirt in the pot will ballast a pot. Lotus tubers die at around 34f, a position below the expected freezeline will be reliable. A small to medium size lotus can put up four or so blooms at a time, if there are four growing points trotting about the pot. Lotus runners might trot six foot a month in conditions they like, trotting round a tub

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had lotus in my pond, in pots, they tend to blow over if you don't have them anchored well. They grow a lot of tall leaves which catch the wind.

I ended up setting up a 300 gallon tub, partly filled with kitty litter, turned them loose. They grow great on their own now. This is a fishless pond that gets water from my big pond, trickle flow via T from the big ponds pump system via a garden hose, that flows through and back into the big pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am just doing lotus seeds in my kitchen window and planted them in crushed oyster shells and kitty litter and zeolite and then cut up a jobes fertilizer stick into pieces .Reason for the mixture is to keep the water cleaner and not smelly
101_0038.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. So I see that the sacred lotus is hardy to zone 4... then why does it die from the cold? And do any of you bring your lotus pots back inside to overwinter it? Or do you keep it in the pond even in the winter.
And sissy how do you get lotus seeds? Did you buy them or did you somehow get them from an existing lotus flower?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got some on ebay and some from a grower in NC .The place on ebay was wonka seeds in Huntington beach CA. seller was istanbul-le (409) 4.95 for 15 seeds free shipping

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So I see that the sacred lotus is hardy to zone 4... then why does it die from the cold? And do any of you bring your lotus pots back inside to overwinter it? Or do you keep it in the pond even in the winter.

Mine stay out year round, the plant leaves etc die back, I just cut them off in the fall once they are brown and crispy.
The tubers are set below the freeze line of my water, i.e. deeper than the ice will from in the water. If the tuber freezes that will kill the lotus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I got some on ebay and some from a grower in NC .The place on ebay was wonka seeds in Huntington beach CA. seller was istanbul-le (409) 4.95 for 15 seeds free shipping
Sissy I look for your seller on Ebay and could not find him...you said 409 but that did not come up...any other suggestions for a search?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That was back in Feb so maybe they have none left .Seems like the sell seeds all winter and then sell out by spring and I bought mine awhile ago and see few sellers of them now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Okay thank you. I am just leary about ordering from China...I see a lot from China, Indonesia, and other oriental countries. We have so much heat clear through October I guess I could try them even with getting them in mid July. Did you have to sand down the seed or just drop in water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I did order one yesterday...It was the very last day to order this year Phew. I ordered a Titanic it will be here in three days. Now I have to find another pot and get it set up ready for the tuber to come.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I put mine in a large pot with plain dirt and 3" of water in a sunny spot in the yard. After the first or second leaf added water to the top and then about a week after that put a fertiziler tab in the dirt and put the whole thing in the pond. She's doing well so far but I might move her into shallower water as I didn't know that's what they like

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It is going to be 119 Sunday 120 on Monday in Arizona. Do I need to do anything for my Lotus?

The new tuber I purchased from pondplantsonline arrived on Wednesday and is in its pot. I have two pots on each side of my entry way to my front door. They get direct sun most of the day.

The third pot that was my first lotus is doing nothing still but...things still don't look totally dead so I am leaving it to see if a miracle happens and it revives. LOL...

Ask a Question