Question about growing lotus in pots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have lotus this year. I'm a first-timer! I don't know how the heat will affect them, but don't many lotus thrive in places that are super-duper hot? I will say when mine first started growing, I was really discouraged and thought they had a disease. The leaves were blotchy and brown in spots. I think the water was just too cold for them to get going well. Now the lotus in both the separate pool and in pots in the pond are all doing very well! I even have two blossoms! Yay!!!!! I ordered one from pondplantsonline (wabasabi) and one from texaswaterlilies (First Lady). I have another smaller variety that was a pass-along plant from a fellow ponder. All are doing very well! I hope yours do too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I put 100%clay kitty litter in the pot for my lotus. Will it grow in 100%kitty litter? Does it need some other soil?
It is the blue and green bag fromWallmart. The only place I can find unscented.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
With fertilizer it should grow .non clumping I hope .I get mine in the dollar stores here .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are in kitty litter, not fertilized for years now, but they are in the pond water flow, get dirty water from the big pond, going through their tank. I am sure that gives them some good food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well we just went through a week of 119 degree temps...The water in my pots heated up to 102....the lotus I still have are thriving in that heat. The one I got from pondplantsonline is really loving the heat! It is cooling down now it was only 110 today! We are starting monsoon season so the humidity will kick in so I think my plants are going to love this time of Summer. It will be this way now until September, maybe October...I know it can be really hot still on Halloween. I hope they grow like crazy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Mine are all going nuts too. I've had one gorgeous lotus flower -- deep pink!
I hope I didn't do something bad. Time will tell, I suppose. I know you aren't supposed to cut the aerial stems below the water -- you cut above, so water won't go into the hollow stems and rot the bulb.
Well, I had a giant, dinner platter-sized floating leaf that was old and funky. It was spotty and brown and horrid looking -- too big to ignore.
I cut it.
I was thinking the floating leaves might somehow be different. Hmmmm. I'm thinking they are the same, especially judging from the little tiny bubbles of air that kept percolating out of the end of the cut stem. DANG IT! I hope I didn't flush my $50 investment down the toilet.
I ended up being able to prop the stem up out of the water on another stem. It stayed there for a few days, and the end seems to have "healed" shut.
But the stem coming up with a new flower blossom is looking yellowed. And the blossom looks shrively.
Poop.
Anyone else have experience with this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I did. I'm hoping that it looking bad after cutting is just coincidental -- but I bet not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yikes Bagsmom, I don't know. Fingers crossed but I thought it was both flower and leaf stems. I hope it lives!
Yes, me too, but I thought it only applied to the standing stems that were out of the water, not the floating ones. I guess I figured it's all down in the water. It should be ok with water. Why my brain used this weird nonsensical logic, I don't know! I couldn't imagine that a VERY dead leaf couldn't be removed from the stem. It was soooo big and sooooo brown and ugly.
That'll teach me.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wonder if you could trim the leaf and not the stem. Or trim it above the water, let it seal up and then cut it lower I guess? I haven't had this issue yet so I am glad I can learn from your weird nonsensical logic. :p I really hope your lotus will be ok and isn't :dead::dead::dead:

Ask a Question