Question about plant depth

Reaction score
If a plant is in a 10" pot, and the planting info that comes with it has' planting depth: 3-8" of water', what exactly does that mean? That the plant should be in 3 - 8" of water and so the water will only come up about half way up the pot, or does it mean that it can be in the water with 3-8" of water above the top of the pot - submerged in water?
I am having a hard time figuring out what type of plants I can buy for my pond shelves. They are about 12" down. I don't know if it is too deep and I should put a brick under the pots or if they will be fine. Very confusing!
I just bought a pickerel plant and a cardinal flower. I hope they can survive out there! :neutral:
Thanks!

Reaction score
Pickerel weed can be planted with 2-6" of water ABOVE the crown. Young plants, newly planted, I would set their crowns just below the waterline ... Ours are maybe a foot tall or so now, and have about 2-3" of water on their crown ... and are growing like weeds (no pun intended) ...

The Cardinal flower you shouldnt have more than 3" of water above the crown, and if it wasnt already that deep. I'd only go an inch over the crown, and can later be lowered a little bit, but this one can be a bit picky during transition.

Ask a Question