Questions on planting water lotus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think I got it figured out on how to plant this thing.

Get a rope handle bucket. Like for watering livestock.

Put a couple of bags of top soil in it.
Run a small trench in the dirt.
Place the tuber in the trench. Do not cover up the tuber. You can place a rock on tuber if you like.

Fill the bucket with water.

Question is: Is city water safe for this or do I have to dechlorinate the water first?

I now have 2 ponds. A lower 700 gallon pond with fish and a 200 gallon upper pond that feeds into the lower pond. The upper pond has no fish. Only plants. It is 2 feet deep.

Can I place the Lotus with the large bucket in the upper pond or is it just easier to get it started in the large bucket in the sun out of the pond?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would play it safe and treat the city water because it has things in it that may cause growth for the tuber .Even ran water would be better

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I got it figured out on how to plant this thing.

Get a rope handle bucket. Like for watering livestock.

Put a couple of bags of top soil in it.
Run a small trench in the dirt.
Place the tuber in the trench. Do not cover up the tuber. You can place a rock on tuber if you like.

Fill the bucket with water.

Question is: Is city water safe for this or do I have to dechlorinate the water first?

I now have 2 ponds. A lower 700 gallon pond with fish and a 200 gallon upper pond that feeds into the lower pond. The upper pond has no fish. Only plants. It is 2 feet deep.

Can I place the Lotus with the large bucket in the upper pond or is it just easier to get it started in the large bucket in the sun out of the pond?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phil
I've been growing lotus in container for 3 years now and I've used water city for my lotus without seeing any problem. I live in zone 6a by the way.

Last edited:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I kept my pot out of the pond in full sun for now and used pond water. A few inches over the growing tip and I'm waiting for floaters. Then I'll add water until the pot is full and I can dunk in the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can place a rock on tuber if you like.
None of my tubers have stayed on the dirt without floating off if I did not put a rock on them. After a bit you take the rock off and it stays in place.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I started seeds about 4 weeks ago and have one leaf at the top and 2 more touching the surface. Don't know if I'm doing it right or not.

Attachments

• 1494546059573974943082.jpg
    1494546059573974943082.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 192
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I planted my tuber today. It had one leaf on it. The stem must have been a foot long and the leaf was at least 6 inches across. So I filled the tub to the top with pond water. The leaf still won't float right as the stem is so long.. lol

Maybe it will straighten itself out.. The water is murky from the soil. It should clear up in a day or two.

20170511_192216[1].jpg

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was afraid the clay would cloud my water so I laid small pieces of slate over the top of the clay. It seems to be working.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was afraid the clay would cloud my water so I laid small pieces of slate over the top of the clay. It seems to be working.
I use kitty clay, it always clouds the water when I first plant the lilies, or mess with any of the plants, then it clears right up.
Watch the pieces of slate, the lotus, down the road will grow tubers it will start sending up shoots all over the surface of the clay. the slate will stop that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The leaves seem to always come up crooked for me also and then straighten out .

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I use kitty clay, it always clouds the water when I first plant the lilies, or mess with any of the plants, then it clears right up.
Watch the pieces of slate, the lotus, down the road will grow tubers it will start sending up shoots all over the surface of the clay. the slate will stop that.
Thanks
I'll replace the slate with something smaller like peagravel or something

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use fertilizer sticks after they are rooted good .I also used root hormone powder to help the roots
101_0515.JPG

Ask a Question