sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Need some help here looking for landscape bulbs for ac transformer ,They all say either ac or dc but say dc will not work in landscape lights because of reverse polarity .My bulbs are halogen and have one wire on the outside of each side of the bottom of the base of the T5 wedge bulbs .But the ones I see for ac power supply has 2 wires on each side at the bottom ( will these work ).The lights are portfolio 14 light set item # 0688428 from lowes 4 sets of them .The bulbs have confused me .Seems all bubs sold on ebay the led wedges in dc style are cheaper and the ones for ac are more expensive .I don't mind spending more to get the right bulbs but the bottom of the bulbs with the 2 wires confuses me .I have asked each seller on ebay but none of them have answered my exact question .I figure ask here before I spend big money on 40 + bulbs and they don't work
101_1308.JPG
101_1311.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I tried to take a pic of the halogen bulbs with one wire on each side and the leds i see on ebay have 2 wires on each side ,will they work since I have contacted the sellers and they don't answer my question about the wires being different at the bottom .All they say to me is T 10 and T 5 are the same bulb .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I tried to take a pic of the halogen bulbs with one wire on each side and the leds i see on ebay have 2 wires on each side ,will they work since I have contacted the sellers and they don't answer my question about the wires being different at the bottom .All they say to me is T 10 and T 5 are the same bulb .

Probably not, the fixture contacts are likely different.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is why I gave them the info on the sets and where they were bought and that the bulbs that came with the sets is halogen T 5 .Seems the dc bulbs I saw have 1 wire on each side .I may have to buy the T5 for the ac power in a small amount to see if they work

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The bulb and the power source.None of the power packs are made in the U.S. anymore ,my old ones were made in this country
101_1350.JPG
101_1348.JPG

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Also strange, those low voltage converters usually convert 120AC to 12VDC. that box says; output 12v AC. You will need AC bulbs.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
but why do the led bulbs have 2 wires on each side of the base instead of my 1 wire on each side of thebase .Would led bulbs be that different on the bottom than halogen bulbs

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
It could be because LED bulbs are one way diodes , wont work if installed backwards so by including contacts on both sides the consumer doesn't need to orientate the installation. Maybe.?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thought I would update got led 1 watt cool white bulbs ,.not sure you can see the difference .They aare sorta blue and others are yellow .Not done yet 8 more lights to put in yet .The driveway is over 300 feet long .left is halogen bulbs right is led cool white bulbs
101_1512.JPG
101_1509.JPG
101_1510.JPG

Ask a Question