Question on Matala filter pads

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The contractor that renovated my pond 2 yrs ago, put 2 green Matala pads in one waterfall with a bag of swirly media on top, and 3 black Matala pads with a bag of swirly media in the other one (He put a blue Matala pad in the skimmer box, but I replaced that one with a black one right away, cause it was way too fine and clogged too fast)
I want to replace the bags of swirly bio media, using blue and gray Matala pads, placing them on top of the green pads my questions are:
1 Is it better to have 2 green before the blue, or should I replace the fist green with a black?
2) If the space available only allow me to stack 3 pads (in place of the swirly bio media bag), do I go with 2 blue and 1 gray or 1 blue and 2 gray?

Reaction score
The blue plugs up pretty fast.. I have never used the grey but I think it is more dense 5hen the blue.
I would stay with the green or black. You are wanting good bio filtration without having to clean those pads off all the time.
I use the blue, green and black for my mechanical filter and bio balls for bio filter.
I really like the matala filter media. If I could afford to I would have my bio filters full of the black matala. I was those pads a few times a week and they last a few years before the fall apart.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The blue plugs up pretty fast.. I have never used the grey but I think it is more dense 5hen the blue.
I would stay with the green or black. You are wanting good bio filtration without having to clean those pads off all the time.
I use the blue, green and black for my mechanical filter and bio balls for bio filter.
I really like the matala filter media. If I could afford to I would have my bio filters full of the black matala. I was those pads a few times a week and they last a few years before the fall apart.
Yes the gray is more dense and I see what you're saying about the clogging, I had the blue pad in my skimmer and that didn't last long, but are you sure all black would do fine as bio fall filter, don't I need different levels of density (from coarse to fine) for proper colonization of bacteria?

I'm going to fill the whole waterfall tank with Matala pads (I'm done with bagged media that's hard to clean or brakes down leaving particles everywhere) I'm just trying to figure out what color I should use for best result, and I feel I should also add that my waterfalls do not have the back flush feature, so I need to consider a stack of pads that works well for proper bacteria colonization and does not require more than once a year cleaning

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bacteria will grow on everything and anything. The whole idea behind bio balls over filter media is oxygenation. Bio balls were originally designed to have water dripped over them the fingers/ surface area, allow for the colonization while the space between the fingers allow for oxygen to flood the chamber allowing the bacteria to thrive. It's like a fire that's just barely burning blow on it and watch the flames grow quickly. the twisted media and the bio balls in the water chamber / underwater need that oxygen content for the bacteria to thrive. The media pads are both mechanical as they are biological, but primarily they are mechanical as the filter clogs it cuts down on the O2 as well. starving the bacteria of 02 and thus not working as efficiently.

Gemma you could always add a backflush drain by drilling a new hole for a pipe and ball valve.

Reaction score
Yes the gray is more dense and I see what you're saying about the clogging, I had the blue pad in my skimmer and that didn't last long, but are you sure all black would do fine as bio fall filter, don't I need different levels of density (from coarse to fine) for proper colonization of bacteria?

I'm going to fill the whole waterfall tank with Matala pads (I'm done with bagged media that's hard to clean or brakes down leaving particles everywhere) I'm just trying to figure out what color I should use for best result, and I feel I should also add that my waterfalls do not have the back flush feature, so I need to consider a stack of pads that works well for proper bacteria colonization and does not require more than once a year cleaning
I have had a 20000 gallon koi pond for 13 years, I'm no expert but I can just pass on what works for me. As far as bio media I have had the best luck with a more open media vs tight. It' a mess when the bio filter starts getting clogged up.i used to use rock u til I have to fight it after the first season. You have to remember bacteria grows on everything in the pond. Rocks, liner, ECT. I don' have the biggest filtration set up and I can safely feed our koi 15 pounds a week. According to all the experts my big old koi should have been dead years ago. But they ate thriving. My females are over 30in long. I even have a large mouth bass that has been in there 6 years. He is up to 18in last spring.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Interesting that you want to try this @Gemma . I had the same thoughts and last year I used two 6” thick round green Matala filters in my bio-falls. The green did not clog all season. Of course I also have mechanical filtration before going into the bio-falls. I had been wondering if I should go with a blue filter in addition to the green, but I wanted to be sure the filters did not clog so I stayed with two green.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Bacteria will grow on everything and anything. The whole idea behind bio balls over filter media is oxygenation.
Oxygenation is my main concern, that's why I want to make sure I'm selecting pads of the right
density...I have to pass on the Bio balls, I don't want to deal with media that spins around when I go to hose it down :D
I have had a 20000 gallon koi pond for 13 years, I'm no expert but I can just pass on what works for me. As far as bio media I have had the best luck with a more open media vs tight. It' a mess when the bio filter starts getting clogged up.i used to use rock u til I have to fight it after the first season. You have to remember bacteria grows on everything in the pond. Rocks, liner, ECT. I don' have the biggest filtration set up and I can safely feed our koi 15 pounds a week. According to all the experts my big old koi should have been dead years ago. But they ate thriving. My females are over 30in long. I even have a large mouth bass that has been in there 6 years. He is up to 18in last spring.
What you said makes sense to me, so I'm going to use all black and maybe use the green I have in my skimmer box, in addition to the black that's already there, that way I can still cut down on more solids before the water reaches the Bio

Congrats on your success as a koi keeper, I'm dying to see your koi, would you consider posting a showcase?
smdrooling.gif

Interesting that you want to try this @Gemma . I had the same thoughts and last year I used two 6” thick round pads...I pass on the bio balls, I don't want to deal with spinning media when I'm trying green Matala filters in my bio-falls. The green did not clog all season. Of course I also have mechanical filtration before going into the bio-falls. I had been wondering if I should go with a blue filter in addition to the green, but I wanted to be sure the filters did not clog so I stayed with two green.
I used the real thick white pads and lava rocks up until the renovation 2 yrs ago, the contractor introduced me to the Matala pads and this swirly media...I love the Matala pads but I literally hate this swirly media, I find particles of it everywhere!
You could try the blue, just cause it didn't work out for me, doesn't mean it won't do just fine in your setting
When I had the blue pad in my skimmer box, I had to,rinse twice a day even when the water was crystal clear, or it would slow down the flow and starve the pump

Thank you all for your reply!
grouphug5.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I've been thinking about switching my filter pads out with the Matala pads because the filter pads that came with the TetraPond SF1 Prefilter have been flattened over time and repeated cleanings. The Matala pads are supposed to be a lot more rigid and durable and I would hope they would hold their shape longer for the price? Can anyone speak to their durability?

I found this 3-pack on Amazon which would be perfect for me since my pre-filter is a little less than 12x12 so I would have to cut the pads down a bit.
https://www.amazon.com/3-Color-Mata...&keywords=matala+filter+media#customerReviews

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been thinking about switching my filter pads out with the Matala pads because the filter pads that came with the TetraPond SF1 Prefilter have been flattened over time and repeated cleanings. The Matala pads are supposed to be a lot more rigid and durable and I would hope they would hold their shape longer for the price? Can anyone speak to their durability?

I found this 3-pack on Amazon which would be perfect for me since my pre-filter is a little less than 12x12 so I would have to cut the pads down a bit.
https://www.amazon.com/3-Color-Mata...&keywords=matala+filter+media#customerReviews
I've had mine for 2 yrs and they look brand new
it's a good thing that they make 4 different densities so one can decide which works best in that setting
The Matala pads are unbelievably easy to clean, and as far as durability you should be set for several years

Ask a Question