Quick easy question .....

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Rebeldart; Just re-read your o.p., and wanted to add; the head is measured from the pond surface to the OUTLET from your filter, not the inlet. That would give you about 36" of head right there, depending on the exact placement of the outlet.
John

Reaction score
Wow , thanks all. Regarding sandy soil , it is simply easy digging as our soil is mostly clay/sand mix. I wouldn't think the walls would "collapse" as mentioned with the weight of the water and such. Wife wants to spread out the liner this weekend and look at going larger since we have a big enough liner. I appreciate all the info and will try to update on occasion. Had a thought on bio media today : how about a few hundred feet of poly (plastic, not nylon) rope ? I have some I can get my hands on at work (new, of course).

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Poly rope, that should work.

Someone posted either on this forum or a different one they built a pond in florida, sandy, clay soil. It collapsed, the mistake they made was not having the edge above ground level. Rain came and washed in and under the liner, took the edges right down.

So make sure your edge is higher than surrounding land.

Ask a Question