Raccoon trouble

Reaction score
Last year I hired a company, at great expense, to trap and release the raccoons that were destroying my pond plants and knocking over my filter/fountain. They eventually caught five. Now I have another one that I see on my Ring camera at night. It is wary of the trap I set (no idea what I would do with it if I caught it!). I no longer have fish or even frogs - I think the raccoons got one last year. I have tried various types of covers and fencing but raccoons are strong and determined. Any ideas?
(In the picture the pond, the dog, and I were 10 years younger!)

Attachments

• pond 010.jpg
    pond 010.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 15

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Last year I hired a company, at great expense, to trap and release the raccoons that were destroying my pond plants and knocking over my filter/fountain. They eventually caught five. Now I have another one that I see on my Ring camera at night. It is wary of the trap I set (no idea what I would do with it if I caught it!). I no longer have fish or even frogs - I think the raccoons got one last year. I have tried various types of covers and fencing but raccoons are strong and determined. Any ideas?
(In the picture the pond, the dog, and I were 10 years younger!)
Might have to invest in a cover that is raccoon proof. I also took some little flat boards and laid them around the edge of my pond w/tack nails sticking up through them. The bugger didn't like walking on them. Or maybe a short wire fence all around it too?

IMG_8656.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A line or two of electric wire around the pond should do the trick. Get a charger and some wire and short plastic posts and you can put it up in an hour or so. You can unplug the charger whenever you are around the pond, or all day if the raccoon only comes at night.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
A line or two of electric wire around the pond should do the trick. Get a charger and some wire and short plastic posts and you can put it up in an hour or so. You can unplug the charger whenever you are around the pond, or all day if the raccoon only comes at night.
Just know the pets you have will prolly need to find out that they will too get a shock but they will learn fast. It won't hurt them, just warn them.

Ask a Question